1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering physics, what is it like?

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    I gratuated from the Finnish upper secondary last spring and applied to the Tampere University of Technology without a clue of what I wanted to study and ended up as an architect student. During the first couple of weeks I realized that I was in the completely wrong place and I'm definitely applying again this spring. The problem is, I've still got no clear idea of what I want to study. I'm interested in so many fields that it feels impossible to choose. My list of interests includes maths, physics, biology, geology and languages. At least they were my favourite subjects in the upper secondary.
    Now I'm thinking about Engineering physics and it would be really helpful if someone could provide me with some real information about the degree and the career choises. Where could I find help in choosing the right career for myself? Should I consider studying physics in a real univesity? Would it be just theory?
    I don't like architecture because the field does not have enough variation, and I'm afraid that I'll be disappointed again. Could someone please prove me wrong!?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2
    I am a senior Engineering Physics student at Eastern Michigan University. I love the coursework. EP programs seem to vary from university to university. Here, the program is very similar to the regular Physics Major, except you take more applied classes and a couple engineering classes. A real advantage of it is that you get exposed to a broad range of applications. To be honest, I feel confident that I could go to grad school for any discipline of engineering I want to.

However, if you were going to be an engineer with only a bachelors degree, it would probably be better to go into a certain type, like ME, EE, or CE. Most people don't know what an Engineering Physics major is so they just skip over you.

4. Jan 12, 2009 #3
    If you are looking for engineering employment, you may also want to look into requirements for professional certification and the accreditation of the degree program (I don't know what these requirements are in Finland). In the US, some jobs may favor or require Professional Engineer (PE) certification, and only certain accredited degree programs fulfill one requirement of certification.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?