Engineering Reports: Hours Spent Writing vs Engineering | 1st Yr Student

  • Thread starter JyN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the typical electronic systems engineer spends approximately 85% of their time writing reports and doing documentation, while the remaining 15% is spent on actual engineering work. To minimize the amount of writing and documentation, it is recommended to become a technician instead. However, even in engineering roles, some level of documentation and communication is necessary and important.
  • #1
JyN
28
2
About how many hours a week would a typical electronic systems engineer spend writing reports vs the number of hours spent doing actual engineering? And, what kind of jobs could i look for in engineering that minimize the amount of writing i would need to do? I'm a first year student, and am not set on electronic systems either.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
  • #2
That depends on where you work but I would say on average 85:15 of writing vs actual engineering. If you don't like to do a lot of writing, documentation, and communication, then I would recommend you become a technician.
 
  • #3
I'm not an electronic nor a systems engineer, but if you better learn to love documentation. It's not necessarily that you're writing reports, but just documentation in general. I always have a powerpoint or something open on my other monitor that I'm using for screenshots and the like.

You won't like it when you first start, but you'll soon see why it's absolutely necessary.
 

Related to Engineering Reports: Hours Spent Writing vs Engineering | 1st Yr Student

1. How long does it typically take to write an engineering report?

The time it takes to write an engineering report can vary depending on the complexity of the project and the individual writing it. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 20-30 hours to complete a report.

2. Is it more important to spend time on engineering or writing as a first-year student?

Both engineering and writing are important skills for a first-year student to develop. However, as a student, it is important to prioritize your time based on the requirements of your project. If the report carries a significant weight in your grade, then it is important to spend ample time on both engineering and writing.

3. How can I improve my writing skills for engineering reports?

One way to improve your writing skills for engineering reports is to practice and seek feedback from your peers or instructors. Additionally, you can also read and analyze well-written engineering reports to understand the structure, language, and tone used in professional reports.

4. How can I efficiently manage my time when writing an engineering report?

To efficiently manage your time when writing an engineering report, it is important to break down the project into smaller tasks and set realistic deadlines for each task. It is also helpful to eliminate distractions and create a schedule for writing and editing the report.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can assist in writing engineering reports?

Yes, there are various tools and resources that can assist in writing engineering reports, such as writing software, style guides, and online tutorials. It can also be helpful to consult with professionals or your peers for advice and tips on writing effective engineering reports.

Similar threads

  • General Engineering
Replies
1
Views
2K
Replies
6
Views
1K
  • STEM Career Guidance
Replies
3
Views
2K
Replies
3
Views
1K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
5
Views
1K
  • General Engineering
Replies
1
Views
2K
Replies
13
Views
2K
Replies
5
Views
3K
  • STEM Educators and Teaching
Replies
9
Views
2K
Replies
2
Views
4K
Back
Top