English Conversation Partner Wanted - Chinese Student Preparing for TOEFL

  • Thread starter Thread starter GreenApple
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 7K views
GreenApple said:
Thanks. And I am glad I have come across someone who can speak Chinese.
Well I am just a beginning student in writing and speaking Mandarin. :smile:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you can ask me any question about it.
I am glad to help :)
 
I have some other questions.
What is the difference between the tow sentences "She is pretty, isn't she? " and "She isn't pretty, is she? "?
 
GreenApple said:
I have some other questions.
What is the difference between the tow sentences "She is pretty, isn't she? " and "She isn't pretty, is she? "?
Both are really two sentences mashed together.

She is pretty. Isn't she pretty?
She isn't pretty. Is she pretty?

In both cases, the first sentence states your opinion on the matter (She is pretty / she is not pretty), while the second sentence asks for someone else's opinion as to whether your opinion is wrong.
 
Last edited:
Another question:
What am I suppose to say when someone say "whould mind opening the door?" ?
Sould I say "sure, no problem" or "no, of cause not" ,provided I want to do the favour?
 
Now there's a question even English-speaking people can't allways answer! Truthfully, either of those responses would be fine. The important thing is that you don't just say "yes" or "no", as either of these answers would still leave your meaning unclear. "Yes" could mean "yes, I'll open the door" or "yes, I would mind". "No" could mean either, "No, I don't mind", or "No, I won't open the door".

By the way, the question needs a subject, "Would you mind...". Sometimes in English the word "you" is not needed because it is strongly implied (called an "understood you"), but this sentence is not one of those times.

May I say, you're doing great so far. In your shorter posts, I would not have known that English was not your first language if you hadn't told us.
 
Last edited:
I am always gratefull for all your help.

I got this sentence from a dictionary:
Clarke says his team could have lasted another 15 days before fatigue would have begun to take a toll.
I am just wondering why it was not this sentence :
Clarke says his team could last another 15 days before fatigue would begin to take a toll.
 
The two sentences talk about an event at different time periods. The first sentence says "could have lasted" and "would have begun," showing that the event happened in the past and is no longer occurring.

If you were to say "could last" and "would begin," there is the idea that the event is still occurring.