English is not normal, says John McWhorter

In summary: take a look at some of the other differences between English and other languages.As English began as a German dialect, it should come as no surprise that there are many words which are difficult to translate literally. For example, "geardagum" is a difficult word to translate into other languages, as it means both "tribe-kings" and "days of yore." Another difference between English and other languages is the way that words are borrowed. For example, "sassenach" is a word which has been borrowed from French, and is pronounced similarly to "English." However, this is not the only borrowed word which English has borrowed. For example, "brea" is a word which
pinball1970 said:
I did not get that. Ok

geordief said:
I didn't get it either,although I did look up the cast of Casablanca for clues.
You have to be 1) of a certain age, and 2) a fan of old movies to get the play on words that V50 posted.

Science news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
You have to be 1) of a certain age, and 2) a fan of old movies to get the play on words that V50 posted.
Ticks both boxes but you forgot to add "adequately quick on the uptake"

• Love
Likes Mark44
Frisian born and raised reports for duty.

"Deale, ik sil ris dat krease famke skylje om te freegjen at se ek nog ris mei my yn petear gean wol oer de heteroatische snaartheorie."

"Darn, I'm going to call that cute girl to ask if she'd like to have a conversation with me some time about heterotic string theory."

Likes Astronuc
And it's "bûter, brea en griene tsiis", not the other way around. Cooked indeed.

Looking at the title, it would probably be correct to say, English (or any language) is a different normal.

How about Sanskrit grammar rules?!

A Sanskrit grammatical problem which has perplexed scholars since the 5th Century BC has been solved by a University of Cambridge PhD student.

Rishi Rajpopat, 27, decoded a rule taught by Panini, a master of the ancient Sanskrit language who lived around 2,500 years ago.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cg3gw9v7jnvo
Panini's grammar, known as the Astadhyayi, relied on a system that functioned like an algorithm to turn the base and suffix of a word into grammatically correct words and sentences.

However, two or more of Panini's rules often apply simultaneously, resulting in conflicts.

Panini taught a "metarule", which is traditionally interpreted by scholars as meaning "in the event of a conflict between two rules of equal strength, the rule that comes later in the grammar's serial order wins".

However, this often led to grammatically incorrect results.

Mr Rajpopat rejected the traditional interpretation of the metarule. Instead, he argued that Panini meant that between rules applicable to the left and right sides of a word respectively, Panini wanted us to choose the rule applicable to the right side.

Employing this interpretation, he found the Panini's "language machine" produced grammatically correct words with almost no exceptions.
Mr Rajpopat said he had "a eureka moment in Cambridge" after spending nine months "getting nowhere".
I want that kind of job. I think my management would have an issue of not accomplishing anything for 9 months. I have to continually produce something (some result).

• Haha
Likes Mark44
It's Xmas and they play the usual films and this is one of my favourites.
This song hits a few points in the thread but I noticed a mistake by master of pronunciation Henry Higgins.
'Why can't the English?'

Likes Astronuc
pinball1970 said:
I noticed a mistake by master of pronunciation Henry Higgins.
And what would that be? The only questionable point I can recall was using "Scotch" for what would now be "Scots" or "Scottish", but that's probably in keeping with the relevant times.

Jonathan Scott said:
And what would that be? The only questionable point I can recall was using "Scotch" for what would now be "Scots" or "Scottish", but that's probably in keeping with the relevant times.
That's the one. I was reprimanded by a Scottish neighbour in the 1980s who explained what the difference was.
'Scotch' was an acceptable term to refer to a Scot in the 60s?

pinball1970 said:
'Scotch' was an acceptable term to refer to a Scot in the 60s?
Probably not, but the English took some time to learn that, and apart from that it's set in 1912. I see that some sources for the lyrics have changed it to "Scots".

Jonathan Scott said:
Probably not, but the English took some time to learn that, and apart from that it's set in 1912. I see that some sources for the lyrics have changed it to "Scots".
I posted a link but it did not work.
'Scotch' and 'Scots' is actually more complicated than I thought. Did Lerner writing in the US in the 1950s know about this?
I think it is unlikely.
Was Rex Harrison aware? The 1937 play 'Storm in a tea cup' has a coincidental connection.
The English are mischievous as well as not normal possibly?

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
PeroK said:
My understanding is that English was simplified for the masses during a time when French was the language of the English Court. The genders, articles, adjectives and verb forms were all simplified
English largely lost gender before the Norman invasions as a result of shifts in pronunciation. These changes in pronunciation caused the word endings that carried gender to become indistinct and thus both gender and case were lost.
Don Ringe's volumes on the history of English go into huge detail on this. A briefer account is in Fortson's "Indo-European Langauge and Culture: An Introduction".

• Informative
Likes Bandersnatch, Drakkith, berkeman and 1 other person
256bits said:
so he is the kin of Tol, son perhaps. Or belongs to the Tol family from way back when nobody had last names.
Since he is from S. Africa, rather born there, it could be the name comes from the boer ( Dutch )
Are there many Tolkien's in England, and would they all be related in some fashion?

By memory of a biography I read 'Tol' is related to 'dull' but originally meant something like mad, and 'kien' related to 'keen', altogether something like 'Rashbold'.

Likes 256bits
Astronuc said:
Roman influence/interference perhaps
Much more common, majority of Indo-European languages have grammatical genders.

Last edited:
Pronunciation of Tartaraghan - a location in County Armagh, Ireland. I was wondering about the pronunciation, so I looked up examples of pronunciation, and I found at least 6 different pronunciations, but I didn't find one from Armagh, Ireland. Not even 'English' speakers agree on pronunciation.

Likes pinball1970
Astronuc said:
Pronunciation of Tartaraghan - a location in County Armagh, Ireland. I was wondering about the pronunciation, so I looked up examples of pronunciation, and I found at least 6 different pronunciations, but I didn't find one from Armagh, Ireland. Not even 'English' speakers agree on pronunciation.
Yep, absolutely no idea. Place names will be among the trickiest just because they are very old in the UK. Throw in some Celt and I need a resident to give me the correct pronunciation.

Vanadium 50 said:
The other pair I thought of is "foul" and "fowl".. That might be even better.
And speaking of foul, "awful" and "offal".

Please write after me that right makes wright.

Likes Drakkith
Can we simply say that English is just an inherently 'Acquisitive' language ?? Something to do with sundry invasions, then ocean-spanning shipping and Empire...

FWIW, English English is my 'native' language but, as a kiddy, I read enough Victorian (Strand Magazine & Kipling ) and US ( Cousins' pulp-SciFi ) to become 'sorta-mid-Atlantic'. I had a reading speed that astonished and a lexicon that exasperated my Eng-Lang/Lit teachers. Meeting Latin, 'so logical' yet, in truth, an inverted pyramid teetering upon an apex of 'exceptions', gave me a life-long loathing for what we'd now call 'Reverse Polish' notation. Later, translating classic chem synthesis recipes from German writ in 'Fraktur', where all the complex verbs and other un-hyphenated hyper-agglutinatives were piled up at the congested end of a single, multi-page mega-sentence did not help. Like Sudoku, there was but one (1) solution. We joked each could take longer to translate than do...

Nik_2213 said:
Can we simply say that English is just an inherently 'Acquisitive' language ?? Something to do with sundry invasions, then ocean-spanning shipping and Empire...
The Indonesians weren't big on invading anyone but nevertheless have plenty of borrowed words. Many things came from other nations and the names of those things came with them. It seems to me that English is the same.

Nik_2213 said:
English doesn't have a particularly high borrowing rate when compared to languages globally. There are languages like Armenian for which the borrowing rate is much, much higher.

"Borrow" implies "return". English "borrows" like the mafia "borrows".

But where do you draw the line? Is "vendetta" a borrowed word? "Pork"? "Noon"?

Vanadium 50 said:
"Borrow" implies "return". English "borrows" like the mafia "borrows".
I'm not really sure what you mean. English accepts words into its vocabulary like other languages. I'm not sure what "returning" a word would be. It's no different from any other language.

The point is that "borrowing" is not really what happens.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't follow. Loanword or borrowing are the common terms in linguistics.

Vanadium 50 said:
Clone seems more logical but I am not a linguist.

jedishrfu said:
Please write after me that right makes wright.
I read the word "read" that was in red.
At first he led the way, but he lost the lead when he had to carry a sack full of lead.
LittleSchwinger said:
English doesn't have a particularly high borrowing rate when compared to languages globally.
That may be so, but English has "borrowed" words from many different sources. A partial list might include Norman French (pork, beef, garage), Italian (stucco, alto, adagio), German (strafe, angst, alpenglow), Russian (taiga, steppe), Persian (kiosk, bazaar, carafe), Hindi or Urdu (jungle, bandana, dinghy), Malay (amok, bamboo), Hawaiian (luau, lanai), Eskimo/Aleut (kayak, anorak), various U.S. Indian tribes (raccoon, opossum, chinook).

I could go on...
LittleSchwinger said:
borrowing are the common terms in linguistics.
More "taking" rather than "borrowing." That was V50's point.

Likes jedishrfu
Mark44 said:
That may be so, but English has "borrowed" words from many different sources
Certainly. So have many languages. It's not that different from other languages in that regard. A similar list as the one you produced can be given for languages from Welsh to Chinese.

Mark44 said:
More "taking" rather than "borrowing." That was V50's point.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. If you mean some of the words originally come from languages in areas that Anglophones colonised, that's only a small proportion of borrowings in English. Many other languages have such "taken" words, again English isn't unusual in that regard. In fact there are languages where such "taken" words are a larger portion of their vocabulary.

Again I'm not disputing these facts, but they're not something special or even unusual to English.

LittleSchwinger said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. If you mean some of the words originally come from languages in areas that Anglophones colonised, that's only a small proportion of borrowings in English.
V50's point about "borrowed" was that when you borrow something, the implication is that you're going to give it back. Words that were "borrowed" by English aren't usually returned. That's all that was meant.

Mark44 said:
V50's point about "borrowed" was that when you borrow something, the implication is that you're going to give it back. Words that were "borrowed" by English aren't usually returned. That's all that was meant.
But that's true for every borrowing in every language. What would "returning a word" even mean?

Likes BillTre
LittleSchwinger said:
But that's true for every borrowing in every language. What would "returning a word" even mean?
Again, V50's only point is that "borrow" is not the appropriate word.

Mark44 said:
Again, V50's only point is that "borrow" is not the appropriate word.
Borrow also means "to adapt or use as one's own". Like "to borrow a metaphor". That's the meaning when it's used as a technical term in linguistics. Seems fine to me.

Likes BillTre
LittleSchwinger said:
A similar list as the one you produced can be given for languages from Welsh to Chinese.
I'm not sure that's true. How many Algonquin words are there in either Welsh or Mandarin? How many Malay words are there in Portuguese? How many Swahili words are in Mongolian? English has Algonquin (and many other North American Indian words), plus Malay words as well as Swahili.

Mark44 said:
I'm not sure that's true. How many Algonquin words are there in either Welsh or Mandarin? How many Malay words are there in Portuguese? How many Swahili words are in Mongolian? English has Algonquin (and many other North American Indian words), plus Malay words as well as Swahili.
Are you asking if the specific ratio of borrowings from various languages are the same in other languages as they are in English? That won't be true between any two languages. However most languages have a similarly broad source of borrowings, English is not unusual in that regard.

For example Ukranian has Mongolian words, Uralic words, Sino-Tibetan words, Turkic words. Several different linguistic families other than its own, not to mention borrowings from other Indo-European languages. It won't have as many Algonquin derived words as English.

Welsh has racŵn-gi from an Algonquin language and Portuguese has many Malay words (and vice versa) due to trade during the Age of Sail. Similar to how Japanese has many Portuguese words.

LittleSchwinger said:
Are you asking if the specific ratio of borrowings from various languages are the same in other languages as they are in English? That won't be true between any two languages. However most languages have a similarly broad source of borrowings, English is not unusual in that regard.
What I'm saying is that I believe the list is longer in English than in many or most other languages, in part because of the expanse of the British Empire (on which it was said that "the sun never sets"), but also words from Arabic by way of the Spaniards who came to the New World, not to mention the waves of European immigrants who came here from the 18th Century to the early 20th Century. Your example of Ukrainian lists words from peoples from more-or-less nearby areas, such as the Mongols who swept through the plains of Ukraine and beyond. There are hardly any world languages that haven't contributed at least a few words to English.
In contrast, I would venture to guess that French contains proportionally fewer borrowed words, mostly due to the French National Academy's attempts to prevent foreign words from entering the language.

Likes Nik_2213
Back