I shall try and answer your questions in as much detail as I can, but please remember that everything I say is specific to the EDEXCEL exam board. Every exam board offers a Maths A-level, and they are all equivalent in difficulty, but sometimes differ in content slightly. (Do note, however, that Edexcel is the most popular exam board for Maths)
Jarle said:
I have some questions to what you wrote:
In the first year of the A-levels, as I assume is called AS now, what choices do you have for choosing mathcourses? What is the hardest, and what book did you use for that course. In the second year, what courses could you choose from within mathematics, and again, what was the hardest course, and what book did you use?
What is these modules you talk about?
I personally studied for an A-level in Maths and an A-level in Further Maths. (So two A-levels in total) Students normally take 4 or 5 AS levels in their first year, and then 3 or 4 A2 in their second year, but there are exceptions (I took 5A2). If you are very interested in Maths then I would recommend taking both Maths and Further Maths, especially if you want to study Maths, Physics, or a similar subject at university.
Remember that an AS is half an A-level. If you study the AS *and* the A2 part then you get a full A-level. An AS contains 3 modules. An A2 contains 3 modules. So, in total, you need to take 6 modules for each A-level.
So, for my two A-levels, in Maths and Further Maths:
First Year
Core 1
Core 2
Core 3
Core 4
Statistics 1
Statistics 2
C1, C2 and S1 were examined in January.
C3, C4 and S2 were examined in May/June.
Second Year
Further Pure 1
Further Pure 2
Further Pure 3
Mechanics 1
Mechanics 2
Mechanics 3
FP1, M1, M2 were examined in January.
FP2, FP3, M3 were examined in June.
Every textbook that I used was part of the "Heinemann Modular Mathematics for Edexcel AS & A Level" series.
eg.
Core 1
Overall: I found the hardest module in the first year to be C4. I found the hardest module in the second year to be either FP2 or FP3. (FP2 covers integration, hyperbolic functions, and conic sections; FP3 covers matrices / vectors / complex numbers / series / numerical methods / proof)
Now the hard part: what modules you *can* do.
In the normal Maths A-level you *must* have C1-C4. Then you can choose any of these following combinations: (M1, M2); (M1, S1); (M1, D1); (S1, D1); (S1, S2); (D1, D2).
In the Further Maths A-level you *must* have FP1 and either FP2 or FP3 (or both!). If you take FP1+FP2+FP3, you need to take three other applied modules. If you take FP1+FP2 or FP1+FP3 then you need four other applied modules. The applied modules go up to M5, S4, and D2. Note that you cannot put the same module in both Maths in Further Maths. (So, in total, you should have finished *12* modules)