English pronunciation: it would

• Thread starter fxdung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary: It's not a glottal stop, because the tongue is still up. The t sound is just very short and "weak". It's not a full /t/ sound and it's not a glottal stop. And the vowel is definitely a schwa. There is no /i/ in that sound. If there was /i/ it would sound like "eet". In summary, there is a conversation about the pronunciation of the phrase "it would" in American English. One person hears it as "schwa + would" while another hears it as "iud". It is explained that the American speaker is likely skipping over the "t" sound, making it sound more like "i'ud". The
fxdung
In the phrase: "I thought it would be easy to run". I hear "it would" as ""schwa"+ would". Is that possible or my ear hearing wrong?

Last edited:
Likes 256bits
Science news on Phys.org
Not any accent I'm familiar with. Informally, "it would" gets contracted to it'd, and some very old texts (or historical or pseudo historical novels) have characters shorten it to "'t would". The latter seems to me closer to what you say you hear, but I've never heard anybody use it who wasn't pretending to be from the Middle Ages, and it's a rather awkward contraction following "thought" because it doubles up the T sound.

Likes berkeman
fxdung said:
In the phrase: "I thought it would be easy to run". I hear "it would" as ""schwa" would". Is that possible or my ear hearing wrong?
I've never heard it that way.

Likes Vanadium 50
It is in the learning English book: Tactics for listening English.May be it is not real English?

As I say, I can't think of an accent or dialect that would render "it would" as "schwa". But that doesn't mean there isn't one. Without hearing it myself I can't tell you if they're mis-pronouncing it or you're mis-hearing it, I'm afraid.

Here is audio link. I hear "it would"as "schwa+would".Time is about 1:09.

Last edited:
(I found it was a bit after 1.09 - there's a woman talking at 1.09, but after she stops a man takes over and it's about the second thing he says.)

The man has what I (British) would think of as a normal American accent, which probably means Californian. He's definitely skipped over the w, so it sounds like "I thought itud be easy to run", which I would write as "it'd". I don't here any "sch" type sounds, so I'm afraid that's probably your ear.

Keep at it! I learned some Russian at school, which has some subtle sounds that simply aren't present in English, and I remember my teacher saying to us "no, that's not pronounced uy it's pronounced uy". But after a while I could hear a difference in the two way he said it, as my ear became trained to it.

Why I do not hear "t" in "it".Now I hear "would" as 'ud". But I hear "it would"as "iud" but why not "itud"?

It's not very strong, but it's there.

Be aware that it's actually a fairly common regional variation to drop terminal t sounds altogether and replace them with a "glottal stop", which is a very brief pause - Google will probably provide examples. That would genuinely sound like i'ud. This guy definitely isn't spitting out a hard t sound, but it's just about there.

Ibix said:
I don't here any "sch" type sounds,
The 'schwa' sound does not sound like a 'sch'. It's the name of a relaxed vowel rendered in the international phonetic alphabet as /ə/. The second vowel is rhythm is a schwa. But what is said there is the first vowel - the /ɪ/ sound - which is a bit like schwa but with a hint of /i/ in it.

Likes Ibix
fxdung said:
Why I do not hear "t" in "it".Now I hear "would" as 'ud". But I hear "it would"as "iud" but why not "itud"?
Maybe you're expecting too strong an enunciation here? The /t/ sound is but a short tap of the tongue. A brief interruption of the flow of air.

That is why I was difficult to hear "t".But I do not understand why I am still difficult in hearing "i" in "it"?But I am very clearly in hearing "ud"(would)

You're not supposed to hear the actual /i/ sound. The difference between /ə/ and /ɪ/ is very minor, especially in casual speech. Don't worry about it too much if you can't tell the one from the other.
Refer to the IPA chart to find the correct tongue placement. The latter sound is sort of half-way between the /i/ (as in happy) and the schwa - where the schwa has the tongue fully relaxed, with /ɪ/ you slightly raise the front of the blade of the tongue (not the tip!). It's the vowel in 'bit' or 'hit'. If you hear yourself making an /i/ or /i:/ (i.e. longer /i/) sound, as in 'beat' or 'heat' you've raised it too much.
Pairs of words like bit-beat, it-eat, sit-seat, fit-feet are what's called minimal pairs. Practice pronouncing those until you have the two sounds well differentiated.

@fxdung, if you have access to Microsoft Word on a PC, it can read aloud in very well structured English dialects - American and United Kingdom, for example - that might help you work through how words and sentences sound. There are also online text to speech sites that do this as well.

Thank you for your teaching

I think you are hearing the words "thought it" as "schwa" because it is spoken in a rushed and swallowed manner. The sentence would be better as "I thought it easy to run".

Interesting thread you have started @fxdung

The 't' in "it" isn't completely formed ; he's gone with a glottal-stop or mid-tongue to roof-of-mouth, instead of tip-of-tongue.

Sorry, that's normal.

1. What is the correct pronunciation of "would" in English?

The correct pronunciation of "would" in English is /wʊd/ or "wood".

2. Is there a difference in pronunciation between "would" and "wood"?

Yes, there is a slight difference in pronunciation between "would" and "wood". The vowel sound in "would" is shorter and less emphasized compared to the vowel sound in "wood".

3. How do I know if I am pronouncing "would" correctly?

You can check if you are pronouncing "would" correctly by listening to native English speakers and imitating their pronunciation. You can also use online resources or apps that provide audio recordings of words to practice your pronunciation.

4. Are there any common mispronunciations of "would"?

Yes, some common mispronunciations of "would" include /wəd/ or "wuhd", /wɔːd/ or "wawd", and /wʊld/ or "woold". It is important to note that the correct pronunciation of "would" may vary slightly depending on regional accents.

5. How can I improve my pronunciation of "would" in English?

To improve your pronunciation of "would" in English, you can practice regularly by listening to and imitating native speakers, using pronunciation resources, and seeking feedback from others. It may also be helpful to learn the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) symbols to accurately represent the sounds of words in English.