Enough to get into a decent grad school?

In summary: If you have a strong background in physics, they may be more likely to see that as a strength rather than a weakness. In summary, the author is asking if having little physics research will hurt his chances of getting into a good graduate school. He says that if he has a strong background in physics, the committee may see that as a strength.
Shablong
Hello PF community, I've used this site for quite a while for references on self learning and just plain entertainment. I figured it was time for me to make my own cliche "Can I make it?" thread. Thanks in advance for any responses.

I'm going to skip the long part about my history with school, but I am now completely motivated and desperate to start school. (I'm 21 now) My current situation is that I couldn't afford going to my large state school for many reasons. (Mostly the cost of being married young) However I am now working a private university working in the chemical engineering laboratory. With my current benefits I will be be able to go to school tuition free.

The catch of the whole deal is that I am allowed only 9 credit hours per semester, if I can make it fit in my work schedule. Since it is a medium sized private research university, they offer close to no evening classes, but do have a good selection of summer classes.

Now to my question... Will I be able to get into a decent grad school (for physics) if I have little physics related research? Seeing as I have to work 40 hours a week to be able to get my tuition waiver, participating in a large amount to my university's physics related research is unlikely. I unfortunately am not interested at all in chemical (petroleum focused) engineering; however, I am currently participating in the research (as a technician and to some degree data analyzer) that is at the top of its respective field.

Fast forward 5-6 years and I'm hypothetically graduating after acing all of my courses and have a respectable GRE score, will my lack of physics related research work against me? Maybe the converse could be true, maybe having a good background in research of any kind would be a good thing?

I don't know! Sorry for the long road of text, but I am at the current crossroads between deciding on going to some sort of engineering or staying with my love that is physics. By the way I do understand the horrible job prospects post graduation, but I am not adverse to working in industry or programming.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
People that have worked in physics labs and majored in physics definitely have an advantage. I'm not sure what schools you consider "decent." Research what kinds of people get into the schools you want to go to.

wotanub said:
People that have worked in physics labs and majored in physics definitely have an advantage. I'm not sure what schools you consider "decent." Research what kinds of people get into the schools you want to go to.

I guess I'm going to have to start looking at other options. My wife is going to be graduating soon and has a job lined up that could pay support me while I finish school, as I did her.

Are you majoring in chemical engineering? I don't see why you couldn't get into a decent school unless you're only considering schools like MIT or the such to be decent. I've seen people get engineering degrees with no physics research at all get into good schools for a graduate degree in physics. One of my friends graduated with a nuclear engineering degree from South Carolina State University and she is currently at the University of Wisconsin for graduate school.

caldweab said:
Are you majoring in chemical engineering?

No, I'm majoring in physics. I was just wondering if the lack of physics related research in my undergrad would be a detriment to my graduate prospects. By Decent I mean top 20-30. I know the chances of getting into MIT, Caltech, Princeton, etc are a long shot to those with even the most stellar of transcripts.

Shablong said:
Fast forward 5-6 years and I'm hypothetically graduating after acing all of my courses and have a respectable GRE score, will my lack of physics related research work against me? Maybe the converse could be true, maybe having a good background in research of any kind would be a good thing?

Will your lack of physics related research count against you? Compared to what? If you mean, would your application be stronger if you had worked full time, completed your physics degree, and somehow found time to add in extra research, then the answer is obviously yes. If you mean, would your application be stronger if you did research in lieu of working, the answer is not so clear cut.

Admissions committees will take into account your circumstances when you apply.

1. What is considered a "decent" grad school?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as the definition of a "decent" grad school can vary depending on personal preferences and individual goals. Generally, a decent grad school is one that has a strong reputation in your field of study, offers opportunities for research and professional development, and has a high job placement rate for its graduates.

2. What are the minimum requirements to get into a decent grad school?

The minimum requirements for grad school admission can vary depending on the program and university. However, most schools will require a minimum GPA of 3.0, a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, and satisfactory scores on standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT.

3. Is it necessary to have research experience to get into a decent grad school?

Having research experience can certainly strengthen your application to grad school, but it is not always necessary. If you do not have research experience, you can compensate by highlighting other strengths such as relevant coursework, internships, or extracurricular activities.

4. How important is the personal statement when applying to grad school?

The personal statement is a crucial component of the grad school application process as it allows you to showcase your unique experiences, skills, and goals. It is a chance for you to stand out from other applicants and convince the admissions committee why you are a good fit for their program. Therefore, it is important to put time and effort into crafting a strong personal statement.

5. Can I get into a decent grad school with a low GPA?

While a low GPA can make it more challenging to get into grad school, it is not impossible. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as standardized test scores, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. Additionally, you can strengthen your application by retaking courses to improve your GPA, highlighting relevant work or volunteer experience, or addressing any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your academic performance.