Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ensuring injectivity of an operator

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1

radou

Homework Helper

The following puzzles me, and help is highly appreciated, as always:

I am to ensure the injectivity of a linear operator A, which is the unique operator defined by the bilinear form a(. , .). So, the book says that a simple and natural condition which guarantees the desired is: [itex]\alpha ||v||^2 \leq a(v, v)[/itex], for all v, and, after a few steps, it follows that [itex]\alpha ||v|| \leq ||Av||[/itex] (for all v), and the book now says that injectivity follows easily from this inequality, but I can't see how.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You realize that the inequality

\alpha||v||^2 < a(v,v)

has absoultely no relation to A as stated right? How are you using a(-,-) to define A?

Anyway, that is completely immaterial. If Av=0, then you can reach an obvious conclusion that v=0.

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Well, the book says that the a(-,-) defines a unique linear operator A with <Au, v> = a(u, v), for all u, v.

It is tragic how one can oversee such trivial things. Thanks.

5. Sep 27, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The book might say that, but you didn't.

6. Sep 27, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

I didn't because I thought this was the only way to define this unique linear operator, which is, apparently, not correct, since you asked. I was told there is a theorem about this, but I wasn't able to find it. I'd appreciate some enlightment related to this matter, i.e. how exactly does a bilinear form a(-,-) : V x V --> F define a unique linear operator A : V --> V' , where V' is the dual space to V?

The definition above ( <Au, v> = a(u, v), for all u,v) means that A is the linear operator which maps every vector u to the functional F from V' such that, for this very u, F(v) = a(u, v), for all v.

Is there another way to look at this?

7. Sep 27, 2007 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point is that you didn't say what the linaer operator A had to do with a(-,-) at all! An inner product (x,x) is exactly the same as specifying a matrix so that that (x,x)=x^tAx, but you didn't say anything about that at all.

8. Sep 27, 2007 #7

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, he did say that A was "the unique operator defined by the bilinear form a(. , .)." :wink:

9. Sep 27, 2007 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And that means what, precisely? Nothing. Only if we are to _presume_ information not specified does that mean anything at all. Saying 'a(-,-) specifies a unique linear operator' is completely untrue, if that is all the information supplied. However, as I pointed out that is immaterial.

10. Sep 28, 2007 #9

radou

Homework Helper

matt, perhaps I misunderstood what I was said (I'll ask the person once again) about the "bilinear form vs. unique linear operator" issue. Perhaps, if we define that operator as above, i.e. <Au, v> = a(u, v), for all u, v, then this operator A is unique and can be identified with the bilinear form a(-,-)?

I realize this is completely immaterial now (since my primary question was already answered), but I'm still interested in demistifying this.

11. Sep 28, 2007 #10

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point was you didn't say what conditions A had to satisfy! Look at what you wrote:

"a linear operator A, which is the unique operator defined by the bilinear form a(. , .)"

in post 1 (Notice you talk of 'a linear operator', by the way, then say it is unique...) and

"a(-,-) defines a unique linear operator A with <Au, v> = a(u, v), for all u, v."

Call me dumb, but having to read between the lines to guess what you meant to write is a bit tricky sometimes - it is better to be safe than sorry, so include *how* a(-,-) defines a linear operator rather than presuming that we will guess.

Bear in mind that I could choose to use a(-,-) to define A satisfying a(x,y)=<Ax,y> or I could use it to define B to satisfy a(x,y)=<x,By>, where B is of course A transpose, so no, the linear operator is not unique anyway.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  12. Sep 28, 2007 #11

radou

Homework Helper

First of all, it was due to my lack of knowledge that I confused you, since *I thought* that there was some unique linear operator to be associated with any bilinear form, which is obviously absurd. That's why I didn't, at first, point out how it was defined.

Second, there seems to be a notational misunderstanding here, and I definitely should have pointed out earlier that by <Ax, y> I mean Ax(y), where A is an operator A : V --> V', where V' is dual to V, so Ax is a functional. I have come across this notation in my book, probably invoked due to practical reasons.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?