Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entangled photons and their Parents

1. Jun 8, 2015 #1
    I am curious if photons are quantized because their 'parent' particles are quantized, and the photons are entangled with their parents.

In other words, if you were to have two entangled particles emit a photon(s) that is entangled in energy somehow, do they emit a single photon, two photons, both, or the possibility of a combination of photons that can combine?

Most of my issue with the question is trying to find a physical condition where this is explored. The only type of condition I can think of is an electron-positron annihilation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No. The electromagnetic field can always be quantized, even without entanglement.
    Entanglement is not a property of particles. It is a property of the correlation between different things.
    You can have a pair of entangled particles where one emits a photon. This usually breaks entanglement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook