Entanglement, classical correlation, and questions about superluminal signalling

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of entanglement and classical correlation for superluminal signaling. The individuals in the conversation are questioning the origin of these ideas and if they are really asking about entanglement or just any kind of correlation. They also consider the usefulness of random signals and the importance of the state of Bob's spin before Alice's measurement.
Physics Monkey
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The quantum physics forum is full of questions about why entanglement can't be used to signal superluminally.

My question is this: do these questions usually still make sense if we replace entanglement by classical correlation? For example, I can send Alice and Bob each a random bit but with both bits perfectly correlated. At the level of the typical entanglement/superluminal signaling question, are these any different e.g. since Alice has the same (completely mixed) state in both case? I realize this is a bit soft, so your opinions and impressions are very welcome. Basically what I want to know is if people are really asking about entanglement or merely any kind of correlation.

And let me clear, I am certainly very aware that entanglement is not the same as classical correlation, and of Bell's theorem, and so on. In my mind, this question is really about the very basic issues and about pedagogy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I probably didn't understand your question, but if there is no entanglement i.e. if the state is separable, then isn't 'obvious' that there cannot be superluminal signaling?

I would reformulate the Physics Monkey's question in the following way. Assume that Alice is correlated with Bob through a superluminal signal sent from Alice to Bob. Assume further that this signal is chosen randomly, i.e., not freely chosen by Alice. The questions is: Can Alice use it to send a USEFUL signal to Bob? The answer is no, because random signals are not useful.

martinbn said:
I probably didn't understand your question, but if there is no entanglement i.e. if the state is separable, then isn't 'obvious' that there cannot be superluminal signaling?

Perhaps so, and this is sort of what I was trying to get at. Most of the questions I've seen seem to be using nothing more than the fact that outcomes are correlated (plus the spooky language of particles deciding what to do based on their distant counterpart's measured state) as some of kind of suggestion of superluminal signaling.

The state I described is separable but still correlated: [itex] \rho = \frac{1}{2} |\uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow |_A |\uparrow \rangle \langle \uparrow |_B + \frac{1}{2}|\downarrow \rangle \langle \downarrow |_A |\downarrow \rangle \langle \downarrow |_B [/itex]. My feeling is that these sorts of questions aren't using anything more than the correlation displayed here.

What I'm trying to do is understand whence these questions about entanglement originate. Is it a bad metaphor we're using?

Demystifier said:
I would reformulate the Physics Monkey's question in the following way. Assume that Alice is correlated with Bob through a superluminal signal sent from Alice to Bob. Assume further that this signal is chosen randomly, i.e., not freely chosen by Alice. The questions is: Can Alice use it to send a USEFUL signal to Bob? The answer is no, because random signals are not useful.

This is an interesting reformulation. At the level of comparing correlated outcomes, one could imagine that Alice measuring the state of her spin really does set the state of Bob's spin via superluminal signal. But its not clear to me what the state of Bob's (classical?) spin is before Alice's measurement. It is probably also important that this superluminal state resetting can only happen once and that Bob can't actually determine when it happened.

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in a way that their states are dependent on each other, even when they are physically separated. This means that measuring the state of one particle will affect the state of the other particle, regardless of the distance between them.

2. What is classical correlation?

Classical correlation is a type of correlation that exists between two classical (macroscopic) systems. It occurs when the behavior of one system is influenced by the behavior of the other system, but there is no direct physical connection between them. This is different from entanglement, which occurs at the quantum level and involves direct physical connections between particles.

3. How are entanglement and classical correlation related?

Entanglement and classical correlation are both forms of correlation, but they occur at different levels of reality. Entanglement is a quantum phenomenon, while classical correlation is a macroscopic phenomenon. However, entanglement can lead to classical correlation in some cases, as the entangled particles can influence the behavior of macroscopic systems.

4. Is superluminal signalling possible through entanglement or classical correlation?

No, superluminal (faster-than-light) signalling is not possible through entanglement or classical correlation. While these phenomena involve instantaneous correlations between particles or systems, they do not allow for the transmission of information faster than the speed of light. This is due to the principles of causality and relativity, which are fundamental to our understanding of the universe.

5. How is entanglement and classical correlation relevant to superluminal signalling?

The study of entanglement and classical correlation is important in understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the limitations of superluminal signalling. It also has practical applications in quantum computing and quantum communication, where entanglement is used to transmit information securely at the speed of light. Additionally, studying these phenomena can help us gain a deeper understanding of the nature of reality and the interconnectedness of the universe.