Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entire Functions and Lacunary Values.

1. Aug 9, 2015 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

#Hi All,
    Let ## f: \mathbb C \rightarrow \mathbb C ## be entire, i.e., analytic in the whole Complex plane. By one of Picard's theorems, ##f ## must be onto , except possibly for one value, called the lacunary value.
    Question: say ##0## is the lacunary value of ##f ##. Must ## f ## be of the form ##e^{g(z)}## , with ##g(z)## analytic?.
    Clearly if ##g(z)## has no lacunary values, then ## e^{g(z)}## will have only ##0## as its lacunary value,
    and if ##g(z) ## has only ##w## as its lacunary value, then this value will be assumed in ## w+i2\pi n ##, so ##0## will still be the lacunary value of ## e^{g(z)}##. Maybe we can consider composing functions with known lacunary values, but I don't see offhand how, since I don't know the lacunary values of general entire functions.
    I considered using Weirstrass factorization thm, but it seems overkill and has led nowhere.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Theorem: Let ##D## be any elementary domain (for example ##D = \mathbb{C}##), let ##f:D\rightarrow \mathbb{C}## be an analytic function such that ##f(z) \neq 0## for each ##z\in D##, then there exist an analytic function ##h## such that ##f(z) = e^{h(z)}## for all ##z\in D##.

Proof: Let ##F## be a primitive of ##f^\prime / f##. Then put ##G(z) = \frac{e^{F(z)}}{f(z)}##. One checks easily that ##G^\prime (z) = 0## for all ##z\in D##. Therefore, ##e^{F(z)} = Cf(z)## for some nonzero constant ##C##. Since ##e^z## is surjective, we can write ##C = e^c##. Then ##h(z) = F(z) - c## does the trick.

4. Aug 9, 2015 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, that shows the side I am aware of, but does it show that all entire functions that do not hit zero are of this form? Sorry, I know I am being lazy and using composition of entire functions would give an answer, but I wondered if someone knew the answer offhand.

5. Aug 9, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

They all can be expressed in that way. That's what the theorem says.

6. Aug 9, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't get it, how does my answer not answer your question?

7. Aug 9, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry for not being clear: I am looking for a common way of generating/describing all such functions, I would say with an iff rule. I know that every function _can_ be expressed that way. What I meant to say is: does that form exhaust all possible functions with lacunary value 1?. I am looking for something along the lines of ##f: \mathbb C \rightarrow \mathbb C ## is an automorphism (global diffeomorphism) iff ##f(z)= az+b ##. Yes, you are right that any function ##f(z)## with ##f(z)## entire and never ##0## does have a logarithm ## g(z) ## in a simply-connected region so that ## e^{g(z)}=f(z) ## , but what I should have asked is whether this exhausts all possible such functions. Hope I was clearer this time

8. Aug 9, 2015 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sorry, I really don't get it.

9. Aug 9, 2015 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me think it through and I will try to be more clear. Thanks.

10. Aug 10, 2015 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"For every entire nonzero non-constant function f there exists g with [property]" is as exhaustive as it can get.
    The other direction is also true:
    For every non-constant entire g there is a non-constant nonzero entire f with f(z)=eg(z).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook