1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entropy change for melting ice

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the entropy change when 1 mole of ice at 268 K is melted to form water at 323 K. The heat capacity of ice is 3.8 J K-1 kg-1 and that of water is 75 J K-1 kg-1. The enthalpy of fusion of ice at 273 K is 6.02 kJ mol-1.

I know the entropy change by the melting of the ice is given by

delta(S)=delta(Q)/T

and that this is worked out by the enthalpy of fusion.

My question is how do I calculate the entropy change caused by the change in temperature since it is not at a constant temperature does this mean the first equation cannot be used?

Also this isn't a homework question it is an exam question from a previous year and my exam is tomorrow.

Not sure whether this should be in here or in other sciences catagory

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think your heat capacity units should be J K-1 mol-1, and the value for ice should be 38, not 3.8.
    For a given molar quantity M of substance with heat capacity constant C, the total heat held by the substance at absolute temperature T is

Q = M*C*T

Differentiating:

dQ = M*C*dT

So your equation for the change in entropy becomes an integral over the temperature change.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?