Entropy change when a 6kg block at 150°C is placed in a lake at 0°C

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
swain1
Messages
30
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the changes in total entropy of the universe as a result of the following processes:
(a) A block of mass 6kg and heat capacity of 300 J/K/kg at 150oC is placed in a lake at 0oC.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I think I have found the entropy change of the block as -788 J/K. I am not sure how to find the entropy change of the lake though as I don't know the mass.
Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The change should be equal but opposite. Heat is leaving the block and going into the water... What leave the block must enter the water...
 
yes the energy transfer will be the same but not the entropy.??