Equal Forces of Attraction and Repulsion for Like Charges in Coulomb's Law?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Procrastinate
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coulomb's law Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Procrastinate
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
If I have a positive and negative charge, say -1C and +1C, will the force of attraction be the same as the force of repulsion for a +1C and a +1C charge?

I've been trying to teach this electrostatics chapter to myself before term commences so I can get a bit of a head start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Procrastinate said:
If I have a positive and negative charge, say -1C and +1C, will the force of attraction be the same as the force of repulsion for a +1C and a +1C charge?
Yes. (Assuming the charges are the same distance apart, of course.) The force is given by Coulomb's law.
 
Try plugging some values into the equation for the force of electrostatic repulsion/attraction and see what happens =]