1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation for a Complex Chirp

1. Jan 5, 2007 #1
    Equation for a "Complex" Chirp

Can anyone give me a general equation for a sinusoidal frequency dropping chirp.

I want to calculate a waveform where the frequency drops a given fraction over a given number of cycles.

The capacitance of the circuit I am trying to analyse changes with applied voltage and time of excitation resulting in a chirped waveform that drops from Fo to Fo/3 over about 10 cycles.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The wavelength of A Sin(f(t)) is given by [itex]f(t)= 2\pi[/itex]. In order to have that change you need that to be a function of t rather than a constant. The function [itex]F_0(1- \frac{t}{9\pi}[/itex] changes from F_0 to 1/3 F0 as t changes from 0 to [itex]6\pi[/itex]. You need
    [tex]sin(F_0)(1-\frac{2t}{18\pi})[/tex]

4. Jan 5, 2007 #3
    OK now, I sorted it out on my own eventually, Sadly when I compare the calculations to the measurements it looks like the frequency decays exponentially, so it's back to the drawing board.
    At least by deriving the linear case myself I know how to tackle the exponential case.
    I haven't even started the amplitude decay yet, this is going to be a nasty equation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook