Equation for set of linear graph lines

In summary, the homework statement is that the student is looking for a generalized equation that addresses tire size as a variable.
fdore45

Homework Statement

Have graph of dependent variable x and independent variable y. The graph contains 6 linear lines representing 6 discrete constants z.
I'm looking for one equation that would represent all 6 of the linear lines...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Without seeing the y=y(x) equations for the 6 lines, it would be difficult for me to give you a helpful answer to the general problem. Can you provide a little more details? Are the lines parallel?

The lines are not paralell. I will attempt to attach a picture/copy of the multi-line graph...
Each of the lines represent discrete and constant (tire size in this case). I'd like the generalized equation to address the tire size as a variable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it would be easier if you could post a picture or just something a little more, because I'll have to explain by example... and making up an example seems more trouble than its worth.

whybother said:
Yeah, it would be easier if you could post a picture or just something a little more, because I'll have to explain by example... and making up an example seems more trouble than its worth.

Hopefully I have the multi-linear line graph attached for your review and comment on a generalized equation for all parameters.
Fred

Attachments

• TirePressure0001.jpg
    TirePressure0001.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 420
Okay, so hopefully I am reading the graph right. My thoughts on this would be to read off the slopes of each line of the graph and correlate them to the tire width given for each line.

By quickly reading the graph I come up with these numbers and then looked for a relationship between them.
Tire Width(mm) vs Pressure-Load Slope (psi/kg):

[tex]37mm \longrightarrow {50psi \over 50kg} [/tex]

[tex]32mm \longrightarrow {50psi \over 40kg} [/tex]

[tex]28mm \longrightarrow {90psi \over 55kg} [/tex]

[tex]25mm \longrightarrow {130psi \over 65kg} [/tex]

[tex]20mm \longrightarrow {110psi \over 40kg} [/tex]

There are many relationships we could draw from these numbers, since the slopes aren't exact, it doesn't matter too much what you pick. I had Calc do a couple of different ones for me.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4997/testzan.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8683/testtfv.jpg

The slopes are defined in terms of your original (x,y) coordinates, and the z (or x on my axis) is the width variable.

1. What is a set of linear graph lines?

A set of linear graph lines is a group of straight lines on a graph that are connected by a common equation or relationship. These lines are typically used to represent linear functions or relationships between two variables.

2. How are linear equations used to create graph lines?

Linear equations are used to create graph lines by representing the relationship between two variables with a straight line. The equation takes the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. By choosing different values for m and b, we can create different lines on the graph.

3. What is the slope-intercept form of a linear equation?

The slope-intercept form of a linear equation is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. This form is useful for graphing because the slope tells us how steep the line is and the y-intercept tells us where the line crosses the y-axis.

4. How can we determine the slope of a linear graph line?

The slope of a linear graph line can be determined by calculating the change in y over the change in x, also known as rise over run. This can be done by choosing two points on the line and using the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). The resulting value is the slope of the line.

5. Can a set of linear graph lines intersect at more than one point?

Yes, a set of linear graph lines can intersect at more than one point. This occurs when the equations of the lines have different slopes and intersect at different points on the graph. If the equations have the same slope, the lines will be parallel and will not intersect at any point.