Equation Number in Latex on left side

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Tederoony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the person is having trouble with equation numbering in their document and is looking for help on how to customize the placement of the numbers on the page. They are using a template with the amsart document class and have shared their code for reference.
Tederoony
Hi all,

When I typeset equations with automatic labeling, the labels (numbers) appear on the left side of the page. I want them on the right side -- where they seem to go by default for everyone else. I'm using TexShop v2.37 for mac.

Is there a problem with my template?
I'm using:
\documentclass[12pt]{amsart}
\usepackage{geometry}
\usepackage{mathtools}
\geometry{letterpaper}

Then I'll have something like \begin{equation} a=b \end{equation}

How can one customize which side of the page equation numbers appear on?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use
Code:
\documentclass[reqno, 12pt]{amsart}
amsart defaults to left equation numbering, so use the reqno option.

1. What is the syntax for numbering equations on the left side in LaTeX?

To number equations on the left side in LaTeX, you need to use the "leqno" command before the "documentclass" command. This will align all equation numbers to the left side.

2. How do I reference equation numbers on the left side in LaTeX?

To reference an equation number on the left side in LaTeX, you need to use the "eqref" command followed by the label of the equation. This will automatically insert the equation number with parentheses.

3. Can I change the position of equation numbers in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the position of equation numbers in LaTeX by using the "fleqn" command before the "documentclass" command. This will align all equation numbers to the left side, but you can also specify a specific position using the "tag" command after the equation.

4. How can I turn off equation numbering in LaTeX?

To turn off equation numbering in LaTeX, you can use the "nonumber" command after the equation. This will prevent the equation from being numbered. You can also use the "notag" command after the equation to prevent a specific equation from being numbered.

5. Is there a way to customize the appearance of equation numbers in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of equation numbers in LaTeX by using the "tag" command after the equation. This allows you to specify a custom equation number or symbol. You can also use the "renewcommand" command to change the style or format of equation numbers throughout your document.