1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Left Side of Gauss' Law equation not the total electric flux?

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The total electric flux from a cubical box 40.0 cm on a side is 4700 Nm^2/C. What charge is enclosed by the box?

2. Relevant equations

Gauss Law: surface integral of E-field-vector * dA-vector = Q_enclosed/epsilon naught

3. The attempt at a solution

The reason I am making this post is that I was under the impression that the left side of Gauss' Law is the total (or net) electric flux over the surface of the shape. Why am I even being given the sides of the box? 4700 Nm^2/C, being the total electric flux, is the left side of the equation in Gauss' Law!

Why is my answer of [4700 * epsilon naught] incorrect?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That answer is right, but remember that ε0 is a number. You should be able to give your answer in Coulombs.

Also, you are right in saying you don't need the size of the box.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook