Equation of Motion from Lagrangian - Zee QTF in a Nutshell

In summary, Zee's answer is that you need to use the Euler Lagrange equation to convert a Lagrangian to an equation of motion.
sloneranger
Hello,
I need help understanding how to apply the formula for converting a Lagrangian to an equation of motion in this following specific application.
On page 4 of Zee's QTF in a Nutshell, he gives a Lagrangian (equation 1). In the following sentence he gives the corresponding equation of motion. I know the formula for converting a Lagrangian, but I don't get/understand Zee's answer. I have searched books and online without finding a similar worked out example.
Help is most appreciated. (I hope the formulas show below show up correctly.)
Thanks, Richard
(1) L = 1/2(∑am(dqa/dt)2 - ∑a,bkabqaqb - ...)

equation of motion => m(d2qa/dt2)a = - ∑bKabqb

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can show your attempt to go from the given Lagrangian to some equations of motion? It would be helpful to see where exactly you get stuck or go wrong.

Just apply the Euler Lagrange equations. That is always the standard way of going from a Lagrangian to an equation of motion:

$$\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}\right)-\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}=0$$

Here is what I had done that didn't work.
Chosing a particular point mass which I still called qa, gets rid of the summations over index a. Now I applied the Lagrangian to equation of motion formula.

d/dt(∂L/∂q[itex]^{}.[/itex]a) - ∂L/∂qa = 0

The first term LHS comes out correct as mq[itex]^{}..[/itex]a

for the second term LHS I get 1/2∑bkabqb

The 1/2 multiplier from the Lagrangian didn't go away. This doesn't match the equation of motion in the book.

My previous post has the time derivative dot and the "a" subscript reversed. Oops.

The second term has that 1/2 because the sum is over all values of a and b, and the summand is symmetric (assuming that k is symmetric).

Maybe it's easier to see if you write out the terms assuming only 2 q's q1 and q2:

You will get a Lagrangian which looks like this:

$$L=\frac{1}{2}\left(m\left(\dot{q}_1^2+\dot{q}_2^2\right)+k_{12}q_1q_2+k_{21}q_2q_1\right)$$

Since k should be symmetric (it is, after all, defined to be the spring constant between 2 masses, and so how could it not be symmetric?), you get 2 identical terms at the end there.

Likes 1 person
So are you Ok now?

Thanks for all the good input. I followed the advice to write out a few terms in the series and to note that the K terms with the indexes swapped were identical. Then I was able to see how the 1/2 went away in the equation of motion. From there I could see how to generalize the answer to more point masses. Thanks again!

1. What is the equation of motion from Lagrangian?

The equation of motion from Lagrangian is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a system based on its energy and the forces acting on it. It is derived from the Lagrangian function, which is a mathematical function that summarizes the dynamics of a system in terms of its position, velocity, and time.

2. What is Zee QTF in a Nutshell?

Zee QTF (Quantum Theory of Fields) is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of quantum particles in a field. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity and is often used in particle physics to study the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. How is the equation of motion derived from Lagrangian?

The equation of motion is derived using the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow the path that minimizes the action (a measure of energy) along its trajectory. The Lagrangian function is used to calculate the action and the equation of motion is then obtained by taking the derivative of the action with respect to time.

4. What is the significance of the equation of motion from Lagrangian?

The equation of motion from Lagrangian is significant because it provides a more elegant and concise way to describe the behavior of a system compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics. It also allows for the inclusion of more complex systems, such as those involving multiple particles and interactions.

5. Can the equation of motion from Lagrangian be applied to all systems?

No, the equation of motion from Lagrangian is not applicable to all systems. It is most commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the motion of particles and fields, but it may not be suitable for systems that involve high speeds, strong gravitational forces, or other extreme conditions.