Basic question on Zee-QFT in a nutshell

• Thread starter LAHLH
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the Lagrangian and equation of motion for an oscillator in a 2D set vibrating purely vertically. The individual's initial expectation of the EOM was that the restoring force would only depend on the distance from equilibrium, but the EOM as written includes the possibility of the potential energy between neighboring oscillators being proportional to the total distance between them. An example of this is given with a three particle chain. The individual expresses gratitude for the clarification.
LAHLH
Hi,

In the very first chapter of Zee, he talks about the mattress analogy and gives the Lagrangian:

[tex] L=\frac{1}{2} \{ \sum_{a} m \dot{q}^2_{a}-\sum_{a,b} k_{ab}q_{a}q_{b}+... \}[/tex]

This obviously leads to the equation of motion:

[tex] m \ddot{q_a}=- \sum_{b} k_{ab}q_{b}[/tex]

I don't understand why this is the correct EOM for an oscillator in this 2D set, vibrating purely vertically, surely the restoring force on the a'th oscillator should on depend on it's distance from equilibrium [tex] q_{a} [/tex]. Or perhaps it should depend on things like [tex] q_{a}-q_{b} [/tex], i.e. the total distance between it and the neighbouring particles it is directly connected to.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LAHLH,

LAHLH said:
I don't understand why this is the correct EOM for an oscillator in this 2D set, vibrating purely vertically, surely the restoring force on the a'th oscillator should on depend on it's distance from equilibrium [tex] q_{a} [/tex]. Or perhaps it should depend on things like [tex] q_{a}-q_{b} [/tex], i.e. the total distance between it and the neighbouring particles it is directly connected to.

Do you think the equation of motion you wrote is somehow inconsistent with this expectation? For example, suppose you want the potential energy between neighboring oscillators in a one dimensional chain to be proportional to [tex] (q_{n+1} - q_n)^2 [/tex]. Unless I misunderstood you, this is what you were expecting to see. But the EOM you wrote includes this possibility. The entries of the K matrix in this case should be something like [tex] K_{n \,n+1} = K_{n+1 \,n} = -1 [/tex] and [tex] K_{n \, n} = 2 [/tex] for all [tex] n [/tex] to reproduce the energy I wrote above.

You can check this with a three particle chain with periodic boundary conditions labeled by [tex] n = 1, 2, 3 [/tex]. The potential energy is proportional to [tex] (q_3 - q_2)^2 + (q_2 - q_1)^2 +(q_1 - q_3)^2 [/tex] which when expanded out is simply [tex] 2 q^2_3 + 2 q^2_2 + 2 q_1^2 - 2 q_1 q_2 - 2 q_2 q_3 - 2 q_3 q_1 [/tex] giving exactly the K matrix entries I wrote down above.

Hope this helps.

Ahh yes of course, thanks alot

1. What is Zee-QFT?

Zee-QFT (Quantum Field Theory) is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

2. How does Zee-QFT work?

Zee-QFT utilizes mathematical equations and principles to describe the interactions of particles and their fields. It also uses the concept of particles as excitations in a field, rather than discrete objects.

3. What are the key principles of Zee-QFT?

The key principles of Zee-QFT include the principles of locality, unitarity, and renormalizability. Locality means that interactions between particles are only felt at the same point in space and time. Unitarity ensures that probabilities of all possible outcomes add up to one. Renormalizability allows for the removal of infinities from calculations.

4. What is the importance of Zee-QFT?

Zee-QFT is important in understanding the fundamental interactions of particles and their behavior at a subatomic level. It is also the basis for many modern theories in physics, including the Standard Model.

5. How is Zee-QFT related to other theories?

Zee-QFT is related to other theories such as quantum mechanics and special relativity, as it combines elements from both to create a more comprehensive understanding of particle interactions. It is also related to other quantum field theories, such as QED and QCD, which focus on specific interactions between particles.