Equation used to find the efficiency of a kettle

• Thread starter physicsnerd26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Efficiency
In summary: So when you multiply heat capacity by mass and change in temperature, the units work out to Joules. So we have energy output = energy input.I'm not sure where you got that image from, but it's not relevant to the problem you're working on. Start with the equation I gave you, and see where it takes you.
physicsnerd26
So, I'm doing this coursework right now, and I know that this equation is what's needed to get to the efficiency but I have only a little idea why.

I'm given this formula:
https://s.yimg.com/hd/answers/i/669504ce234c41af99c351e0c28eea10_A.png?a=answers&mr=0&x=1424239496&s=8a1c1557912955a6446f8f8e90ff7a57

It's Efficiency = (mass (volume of water) x water capacity x change in temperature)/ (voltage x current x time taken)

Is there any theory connected to this? Or other equations that led to this equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should look up the definition of 'efficiency'.

Also, don't post duplicate threads in different forums. That's a violation of the rules of PF.

SteamKing said:
Perhaps you should look up the definition of 'efficiency'.

Also, don't post duplicate threads in different forums. That's a violation of the rules of PF.

Already have, but am I right to assume that:

mass x water capacity x change in temperature = energy output
and the voltage x current x time taken = energy input?

physicsnerd26 said:
Already have, but am I right to assume that:

mass x water capacity x change in temperature = energy output
and the voltage x current x time taken = energy input?

That's correct.

I think C has to be the heat capacity of water, not the "water capacity" whatever that may be.

The heat capacity of water will be in units of energy per change in temperature per unit mass. For example, Joules per degree C per kilogram.

1. What is the equation used to find the efficiency of a kettle?

The equation used to find the efficiency of a kettle is Efficiency = (Energy output / Energy input) x 100%. This equation takes into account the energy used to heat the water and the energy lost through heat loss during the boiling process.

2. How is the energy input of a kettle calculated?

The energy input of a kettle is calculated by multiplying the power rating of the kettle (in watts) by the time it takes to boil the water (in seconds). This gives the energy input in joules (J).

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a kettle?

The efficiency of a kettle can be affected by various factors such as the design and material of the kettle, the amount of water being boiled, and the starting temperature of the water. Other factors include the operating temperature and the insulation of the kettle.

4. How can the efficiency of a kettle be improved?

The efficiency of a kettle can be improved by using a kettle with a higher power rating, using the appropriate amount of water needed, and starting with hot water instead of cold. Additionally, using a well-insulated kettle can also help improve efficiency.

5. Why is it important to calculate the efficiency of a kettle?

Calculating the efficiency of a kettle allows us to understand how much energy is being used to boil water and how much is being lost. This information can help us make more informed decisions about our energy usage and potentially save money on utility bills. It also allows for comparisons between different kettles and their efficiency ratings.