Equations in Microsoft Word - best practice

• Thread starter mikeph
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the best way to use the equation feature in Word 2007 and how to format it to be large and centered with a right-justified equation label. The person asking the question is also seeking alternatives to using MS Word, such as LaTeX.
mikeph
Hi

I'm using Word 2007 and I'm asking if anyone can give me the best way to use the equation feature, along with equation labels, in a way that looks the best.

I need the equation to be large (not limited to a single line, i.e. "display" mode), but I also need it to be centred (or left-justified with an offset) and the equation label needs to be right-justified on the same line, preferably 1-2cm right of the main text border so they are easy to locate.

I have everything in place apart from the "display" mode, and as soon as I type anything after the equation object it converts back to linear/professional. I need display mode to correctly show tall integrals and min/max conditions.

Any ideas? (please don't say learn LaTeX!)

Cheers
Mike

Computer science news on Phys.org
Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the best practice for writing equations in Microsoft Word?

The best practice for writing equations in Microsoft Word is to use the built-in Equation Editor feature. This allows you to create accurate and professional-looking equations with ease. It also ensures that your equations are properly formatted and aligned with the rest of your document.

2. What is the difference between inline and display equations in Microsoft Word?

Inline equations are those that are inserted within the text of a document, while display equations are placed on a separate line. Display equations are typically used for longer or more complex equations, while inline equations are more convenient for shorter equations or when you want to integrate the equation into a sentence.

3. How can I insert special symbols or characters in an equation in Microsoft Word?

To insert special symbols or characters in an equation, you can use the "Symbols" feature in the Equation Editor or use the "Insert" tab and select "Symbol" from the menu. You can also use keyboard shortcuts for frequently used symbols or create your own custom symbols in the Equation Editor.

4. Is it possible to edit an equation after it has been inserted in Microsoft Word?

Yes, it is possible to edit an equation after it has been inserted in Microsoft Word. Simply click on the equation to select it, and then use the Equation Tools tab to make any necessary changes. You can also double-click on the equation to open it in the Equation Editor for more advanced editing options.

5. Can I copy and paste equations from other sources into Microsoft Word?

Yes, you can copy and paste equations from other sources into Microsoft Word. However, it is recommended to use the "Paste Special" feature and select "MathML" or "Equation (Microsoft Equation)" to ensure that the equation is properly formatted and editable in Word. Simply copying and pasting the equation as an image may result in poor quality and limited editing options.