1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations of motion and Hamiltonian density of a massive vector field

1. Apr 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The Lagrangian density for a massive vector field ##C_{\mu}## is given by ##\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+\frac{1}{2}m^{2}C_{\mu}C^{\mu}## where ##F_{\mu\nu}=\partial_{\mu}C_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}C_{\mu}##.

Derive the equations of motion and show that when ##m \neq 0## they imply ##\partial_{\mu}C^{\mu}=0##.

Further show that ##C_{0}## can be eliminated completely in terms of the other fields by ##\partial_{i}\partial^{i}C_{0}+m^{2}C_{0}=\partial^{i}\dot{C}_{i}##.

Construct the canonical momenta ##\Pi_{i}## conjugate to ##C_{i}, i=1,2,3## and show that the canonical momentum conjugate to ##C_{0}## is vanishing.

Construct the Hamiltonian density ##\mathcal{H}## in terms of ##C_{0},C_{i}## and ##\Pi_{i}##.

(Note: Do not be concerned that the canonical momentum for ##C_0## is vanishing. ##C_0## is non-dynamical - it is determined entirely in terms of the other fields using ##\partial_{i}\partial^{i}C_{0}+m^{2}C_{0}=\partial^{i}\dot{C}_{i}##.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Given the Lagrangian density ##\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+\frac{1}{2}m^{2}C_{\mu}C^{\mu}##, where ##F_{\mu\nu}=\partial_{\mu}C_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}C_{\mu}## and ##C_{\mu}## is a massive vector field,

##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}C_{\sigma})}=\frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}C_{\sigma})}\Big(-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}\Big)##

##\implies \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}C_{\sigma})}=-\frac{1}{4}\frac{\partial}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}C_{\sigma})}[(\partial_{\mu}C_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}C_{\mu})(\partial^{\mu}C^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}C^{\mu})]##

##\implies \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}C_{\sigma})}=-\frac{1}{4}[({\eta^{\rho}}_{\mu}{\eta^{\sigma}}_{\nu}-{\eta^{\rho}}_{\nu}{\eta^{\sigma}}_{\mu})(\partial^{\mu}C^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}C^{\mu})+(\partial_{\mu}C_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}C_{\mu})(\eta^{\rho\mu}\eta^{\sigma\nu}-\eta^{\rho\nu}\eta^{\sigma\mu})]##

##\implies \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\rho}C_{\sigma})}=-\frac{1}{4}[\partial^{\rho}C^{\sigma}-\partial^{\sigma}C^{\rho}-\partial^{\sigma}C^{\rho}+\partial^{\rho}C^{\sigma}+\partial^{\rho}C^{\sigma}-\partial^{\sigma}C^{\rho}-\partial^{\sigma}C^{\rho}+\partial^{\rho}C^{\sigma}]##

##=-(\partial^{\rho}C^{\sigma}-\partial^{\sigma}C^{\rho})##

##=-F^{\rho\sigma}##

and

##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial C_{\rho}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial C_{\rho}}(\frac{1}{2}m^{2}C_{\mu}C^{\mu})##

##\implies \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial C_{\rho}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial C_{\rho}}(\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\eta^{\mu\nu}C_{\mu}C_{\nu})##

##\implies \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial C_{\rho}} = \frac{1}{2}m^{2}\eta^{\mu\nu}\frac{\partial}{\partial C_{\rho}}(C_{\mu}C_{\nu})##

##\implies \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial C_{\rho}} = \frac{1}{2}m^{2}\eta^{\mu\nu}({\eta^{\rho}}_{\mu}C_{\nu}+{C_{\mu}\eta^{\rho}}_{\nu})##

##\implies \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial C_{\rho}} = \frac{1}{2}m^{2}({\eta^{\rho}}_{\mu}\eta^{\mu\nu}C_{\nu}+{\eta^{\nu\mu}C_{\mu}\eta^{\rho}}_{\nu})##

##\implies \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial C_{\rho}} = \frac{1}{2}m^{2}({\eta^{\rho}}_{\mu}C^{\mu}+{\eta^{\rho}}_{\nu}C^{\nu})##

##\implies \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial C_{\rho}} = \frac{1}{2}m^{2}(C^{\rho}+C^{\rho})##

##\implies \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial C_{\rho}} = m^{2}C^{\rho}##

so that

##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial C_{\nu}}-\partial_{\mu}\Big(\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu}C_{\nu})}\Big)=0 \implies m^{2}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0##.

So, the equations of motion are ##m^{2}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0##.

Am I correct so far?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2016 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

Yes, it's all fine.

4. Apr 28, 2016 #3
    Thanks!

Next, I need to show that, when ##m\neq 0##, the equations of motion ##m^{2}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0## imply ##\partial_{\mu}C^{\mu}=0##:

##m^{2}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0##

##\implies m^{2}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\mu}(\partial^{\mu}C^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}C^{\mu})=0##

##\implies m^{2}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}C^{\nu}-\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\nu}C^{\mu}=0##

##\implies m^{2}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}C^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}\partial_{\mu}C^{\mu}=0##

##\implies (m^{2}+\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu})C^{\nu}-\partial^{\nu}(\partial_{\mu}C^{\mu})=0##

So, for ##\partial_{\mu}C^{\mu}=0## to hold when ##m\neq 0##, we must have ##(m^{2}+\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu})C^{\nu}=0##.

But why is ##(m^{2}+\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu})C^{\nu}=0## when ##m \neq 0##? Surely ##C_{\mu}## is not the Klein-Gordon field, but rather a massive vector field!?

5. Apr 28, 2016 #4

CAF123

Gold Member

That's not the case - instead of multiplying it all out, contract the equation of motion with ##\partial_{\nu}## so that you get $$m^2 \partial_{\nu} C^{\nu} + \partial_{\nu} \partial_{\mu} F^{\mu \nu} = 0$$ Using properties of ##F^{\mu \nu}## deduce this second term is zero.

6. Apr 29, 2016 #5
    ##m^{2}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0##

##\implies m^{2}C_{\nu}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0##

##\implies m^{2}C_{\nu}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}F^{\nu\mu}=0##, where we have relabeled indices ##\mu## and ##\nu## in the second term

##\implies m^{2}C_{\nu}C^{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0##, where we have used the commutativity ##\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}=\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}## of partial derivatives and the antisymmetry ##F^{\mu\nu}=-F^{\nu\mu}## of the electromagnetic field strength tensor

So, we have both ##m^{2}C_{\nu}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0## and ##m^{2}C_{\nu}C^{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0##.

Adding the equations gives us ##2m^{2}C_{\nu}C^{\nu}=0## so that ##C_{\mu}C^{\mu}=0## when ##m\neq 0##.

Am I correct?

7. Apr 29, 2016 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

Yup, the argument is correct but the term proportional to m^2 should be ##\partial_{\nu} C^{\nu}## not ##C_{\nu}C^{\nu}##. The argument is completely general - whenever you have a symmetric index pair (here ##\partial_{\mu} \partial_{\nu}##) contracting with an antisymmetric one (here ##F^{\mu \nu}##) their contraction always vanishes.

8. May 1, 2016 #7
    Thanks!

Now for the next part of the question.

Further show that ##C_0## can be eliminated completely in terms of the other fields by ##\partial_{i}\partial^{i}C_{0}+m^{2}C_{0}=\partial^{i}C_{i}.##

Starting with the equation of motion ##m^{2}C^{\nu}+\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu\nu}=0## and setting ##\nu=0##, we have

##m^{2}C^{0}+\partial_{\mu}F^{\mu 0}=0##

##\implies m^{2}C^{0}+\partial_{\mu}(\partial^{\mu}C^{0}-\partial^{0}C^{\mu})=0##

##\implies m^{2}C^{0}+\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}C^{0}-\partial_{\mu}\partial^{0}C^{\mu}=0##

##\implies m^{2}C^{0}+\partial_{0}\partial^{0}C^{0}+\partial_{i}\partial^{i}C^{0}-\partial_{0}\partial^{0}C^{0}-\partial_{i}\partial^{0}C^{i}=0##

##\implies m^{2}C^{0}+\partial_{i}\partial^{i}C^{0}-\partial_{i}\partial^{0}C^{i}=0##

##\implies m^{2}C^{0}+\partial_{i}\partial^{i}C^{0}-\partial_{i}\dot{C}^{i}=0##

##\implies \partial_{i}\partial^{i}C^{0}+m^{2}C^{0}=\partial_{i}{\dot{C}}^{i}##

##\implies \partial_{i}\partial^{i}C_{0}+m^{2}C_{0}=\partial_{i}\dot{C}_{i}##.

Are my steps correct?

9. May 3, 2016 #8

CAF123

Gold Member

Correct up to the last line - assuming your metric is (1,-1,-1,-1), for the spatial components part of the four vectors ##X^{\mu}## you have ##X_i = -X^i##.

10. May 6, 2016 #9
    Thanks! In that case, I have

##\partial_{i}\partial^{i}C^{0}+m^{2}C^{0}=\partial_{i}{\dot{C}}^{i}##

##\implies \partial_{i}\partial^{i}C_{0}+m^{2}C_{0}=\partial^{i}{\dot{C}}_{i}##

Let me try to solve the remaining parts of the question.

Construct the canonical momenta ##\Pi_{i}## conjugate to ##C_{i}, i=1,2,3,## and show that the canonical momenta conjugate to ##C_0## is vanishing.

##\Pi_{i}=\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{C}_{i}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{C}_{i}}\Big(-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}+\frac{1}{2}m^{2}C_{\mu}C^{\mu}\Big)##

##=\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{C}_{i}}\Big(-\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}C_{\nu})^{2}+\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}C^{\mu})^{2}\Big)##, where the two Lagrangians are equivalent upto a total derivative and I left out ##\frac{1}{2}m^{2}C_{\mu}C^{\mu}##

##=\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{C}_{i}}\Big(-\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{0}C_{\nu})(\partial^{0}C^{\nu})+\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{0}C^{0}+\partial_{j}C^{j})(\partial_{0}C^{0}+\partial_{j}C^{j})\Big)##

##=\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot{C}_{i}}\Big(-\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{0}C_{j})(\partial^{0}C^{j})+(\partial_{0}C^{0})(\partial_{j}C^{j})\Big)##

##=(\partial_{0}C_{i})+\delta_{0i}(\partial_{j}C^{j})##.

What do you think?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted