Calculating Mass of 4.2m Post Suspended by 1,700N Cable

• Thread starter brentwoodbc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable Mass
In summary, Homework Equations state that a uniform post suspended by a cable with a tension of 1 700 N has a mass of 530 kg.
brentwoodbc

Homework Statement

4990612.gif

A 4.2 m long uniform post is suspended by a cable having a tension of 1 700 N.

Homework Equations

What is the mass of this post?

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure there are 2 forces acting in a clockwise direction (the mass of the log on each side of the rope. And that each of those masses should be multiplied by sin60 not sure about the tension though. I figure that the tension of the rope is acting in a counter clockwise direction, and that all torques are = 0.)

the answer is 530kg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that your answer? Or the book's?

For instance I appreciate the hints, but I think I know how to work it.

What are you stuck on is what I'm asking?

LowlyPion said:
Is that your answer? Or the book's?

For instance I appreciate the hints, but I think I know how to work it.

What are you stuck on is what I'm asking?

No I don't know how to solve it. The booklet I have has the answer of 530 kg but I don't understand how to get to that solution.

I gave the info on how I think I should do it but I am stuck/confused.

brentwoodbc said:
No I don't know how to solve it. The booklet I have has the answer of 530 kg but I don't understand how to get to that solution.

I gave the info on how I think I should do it but I am stuck/confused.

OK. If the sum of the torques is 0, what are the torques about the pivot?

thats what's confusing me, What about the tension of the rope? Is does that have torque?

I think its like
[tex]\tau[/tex]1+[tex]\tau[/tex]2-Tr=0
m(9.8)sin60(2.1)+m(9.8)sin60(.5)-(1700)(4.2)
17.8m+4.24m=7140
22.04m=7140

22.04m=7140
[tex]\overline{22.04=22.04}[/tex]

m=323.96kg...thats a stab at it.

brentwoodbc said:
thats what's confusing me, What about the tension of the rope? Is does that have torque?

What about the tension in the rope? Isn't that a force? Isn't it acting over a moment arm about the pivot? And how far away from the pivot is it acting ? So what is the torque from the tension in the rope?

LowlyPion said:
What about the tension in the rope? Isn't that a force? Isn't it acting over a moment arm about the pivot? And how far away from the pivot is it acting ? So what is the torque from the tension in the rope?

thats why I did the force of tension 1700xdistance from pivot (4.2)

But I assume that you need to do cosine60 or something?

brentwoodbc said:
thats why I did the force of tension 1700xdistance from pivot (4.2)

But I assume that you need to do cosine60 or something?

The log is 4.2m. How far from the pivot is the Tension acting?

darn I read it wrong so 3.2m

that gives me an even lower number though (246kg)

Now what other Torque is that acting against?

LowlyPion said:
Now what other Torque is that acting against?
wouldnt that make the weight even less?

I can't think of any others other than maybe the ground or the angle of the log?

brentwoodbc said:
wouldnt that make the weight even less?

I can't think of any others other than maybe the ground or the angle of the log?

Where is the center of mass acting?

LowlyPion said:
Where is the center of mass acting?

thats one of the things that's confusing me is it 2.1 metres?
or something like 2.1(sin60)

brentwoodbc said:
thats one of the things that's confusing me is it 2.1 metres?
or something like 2.1(sin60)

It is at 2.1m along the log. But what distance is the projection of m*g acting from the pivot?

Draw a line straight down. That distance from the pivot along the ground is the projection for a ⊥ moment the weight is acting through.

See how much weight would provide torque in this case?
Its not all of it.

isnt it just 2 torques the log clockwise and the rope counterclockwise

mgsinθr=1700r
m(9.8)sin60(2.1)=1700(3.2)
17.8m=5440
m=305kg?

Very close. Resolve the vectors again and see which component counters torque due to tension in the thread.

so its cosine. right? thanks!

If it wasn't the sine function, it had to be the cosine function obviously. But please understand why its the cosine function. And try more problems related to resolution of vectors to get that idea clear.

sArGe99 said:
If it wasn't the sine function, it had to be the cosine function obviously. But please understand why its the cosine function. And try more problems related to resolution of vectors to get that idea clear.

I don't really understand why its cosine, I guess its because the forces need to be parrall, I still don't get it though.

brentwoodbc said:
I don't really understand why its cosine, I guess its because the forces need to be parrall, I still don't get it though.

It's cosine in this case because that is the distance through which the CoM acts ⊥ to the pivot. When figuring moments and angular momentum etc this is the important distance. The rest is trig to determine the point at which it acts ⊥ to an arm, any arm, to the pivot.

The vector form of the Torque equation is T = F X r , the vector cross product, and this relationship relies on the ⊥ action about a point. You may not need to know that now, but it is on the road ahead if you get to it.

1. How do I calculate the mass of a 4.2m post suspended by a 1,700N cable?

To calculate the mass of an object, we use the formula mass = force/acceleration. In this case, the force is given as 1,700N and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Therefore, the mass of the post can be calculated as 1,700N/9.8 m/s^2 = 173.47 kg.

2. Can I use a different unit for the force and length?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent. For example, if you use pounds for force, you can use feet for length. However, it is recommended to use the standard units of Newtons for force and meters for length to avoid confusion.

3. Is the acceleration due to gravity always 9.8 m/s^2?

The value for acceleration due to gravity can vary slightly depending on the location on Earth, but for most calculations, 9.8 m/s^2 is an acceptable approximation. If more accuracy is required, the precise value for acceleration due to gravity at a specific location can be used in the calculation.

4. What if the cable is not perfectly vertical?

If the cable is not perfectly vertical, the force of tension in the cable will be split into vertical and horizontal components. In this case, you will need to use trigonometry to calculate the vertical component of the force, and then use that value in the mass calculation formula.

5. Can I use this formula for objects suspended by multiple cables?

This formula assumes that the object is suspended by a single cable. If there are multiple cables holding up the object, the force of tension in each cable will need to be calculated separately, and then added together to find the total force. The mass can then be calculated using the total force and the acceleration due to gravity.