What is the tension in each cable holding up a 100kg Halloween decoration?

In summary, the problem involves a 100kg Halloween decoration suspended by 3 cables, each 25m long and making an angle of 30 degrees with the building. The magnitude of tension in each cable can be found by setting the net force in the y direction to 0 and solving for T, resulting in a value of 283.2N. The length of the cables is given to ensure symmetry in the problem.
hamzaarfeen

Homework Statement

A huge Halloween decoration of mass 100kg is suspended by 3 cables. Each cable is exactly 25m long and is attached to each of the three building equidistant from each other. Each cable makes an angle of 30 degrees with the side of the building to which it is attached. What is the magnitude of the tension in each cable?

Homework Equations

fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

vertical component for all cables= Tcos30
fnet in y direction = 0
fnet=0
3(Tcos30)=Fg
3Tcos30=100(9.81)
T= 283.2N

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks reasonable apart from the numerical value you got in the end, what is your question? Did you multiply the RHS with cos30 instead of dividing when solving for T?

Orodruin said:
Looks reasonable apart from the numerical value you got in the end, what is your question? Did you multiply the RHS with cos30 instead of dividing when solving for T?

oh you sorry i made a mistake in calculations...but i still don't know if my answer is right. and what is the purpose for giving the length of the cable?

They probably just wanted to make really really sure that you treated the problem as symmetric under 120 degree rotations.

So what do you get now?

I would first clarify that the given information is assuming ideal conditions, where the cables are perfectly horizontal and the building walls are perfectly vertical. In reality, there may be some slight variations in the angles and lengths of the cables, which could affect the tension values.

Using the given information, I would approach this problem by first drawing a free body diagram for the Halloween decoration, with the three cables as the only forces acting on it. I would then use the equation Fnet=ma to set up an equation for the forces in the vertical direction, where the net force is equal to zero since the decoration is not moving up or down. This would lead to the equation 3Tcos30=Fg, where T is the tension in each cable and Fg is the force of gravity acting on the decoration (mass 100kg multiplied by acceleration due to gravity, 9.81 m/s^2).

Solving for T, I would get T=Fg/(3cos30). Plugging in the values, I get T= 283.2N. This means that the tension in each cable is 283.2N. However, as mentioned earlier, this value may vary slightly depending on the actual angles and lengths of the cables. Additionally, it is important to note that this is the magnitude of the tension, and the direction of the tension would be along the cables, pulling upwards to counteract the force of gravity on the decoration.

1. What is tension in a cable?

Tension in a cable is the force that is transmitted through the cable when it is pulled at opposite ends. It is also known as the pulling force or the resistance force.

2. How is tension calculated?

Tension is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the cable. This can be represented by the equation T = F/A, where T is tension, F is force, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable is affected by various factors such as the weight of the object being supported by the cable, the angle at which the cable is pulled, and the stiffness of the cable itself.

4. How does tension affect the stability of a structure?

Tension plays a crucial role in the stability of a structure. If the tension in a cable is too low, it may not be able to support the weight of the structure, causing it to collapse. On the other hand, if the tension is too high, it can cause the structure to deform or even break.

5. How can tension in a cable be controlled or adjusted?

Tension in a cable can be controlled or adjusted by changing the applied force or by using devices such as turnbuckles or pulleys to increase or decrease the tension. Additionally, the use of different types of cables with varying levels of stiffness can also affect the tension in a cable.