1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the tension in the right cable?

1. Mar 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2 cables are used to support a 24kg mass on a 1.6m long, 8kg uniform horizontal beam. The 24kg mass is 0.6m from the right cable. What is the tension in the right cable?

2. Relevant equations
    torque = rFsinx

3. The attempt at a solution

Fy = ma = 24(9.8) = 235.2N
    Fx = ?
    resultant F - ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2015 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

There is no Fx forces acting if I'm visualizing it correctly.A picture would help.
    Take moments about the left end, solve for the one unknown force - the rhs cable tension.

4. Mar 12, 2015 #3
    Is the object moving? If so or if not, what does this tell you about the net force.

5. Mar 12, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And are the cables vertical? Where are they attached to the beam? At the ends ?

6. Mar 12, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is some confused thinking here:
    Fy = ma should be ##\Sigma F_y = ma_y##, i.e. the net force in the Y direction gives rise to an acceleration in the Y direction.
    It is not clear whether you are considering forces on the beam, forces on the mass, or forces on the two as a system. Whichever, 24(9.8) is only one force in the Y direction, not the net force.
    I assume the cables are vertical and attached to the ends of the beam. If so, follow billy_joule's advice. You can get the answer without using ##\Sigma F_y = ma_y##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted