Equilibrium equations and coefficients

In summary, the equilibrium constant is the amount of substance at equilibrium, no matter what the starting concentrations are.
reedy
Assignments given to me are drawn up in this manor:

There is 1,34 mol of X, 1,69 mol of Y and 1,95 mol of Z at equilibrium.
Calculate the equilibrium constant for the following reaction: [tex]2X + Y_2 \rightleftharpoons 2XY[/tex]

or sometimes the coefficients are left out in the equilbrium equation.

What I'm trying to say is that the coefficients are never the same as the number of moles given in the assignment.

I want to use

[tex]cC + dD \rightleftharpoons aA + bB[/tex]

[tex]K=\frac{[A]^a ^b}{[C]^c[D]^d}[/tex]

Should I use the coefficient in the equation or the exact number of moles from the assignment?

Physics news on Phys.org
reedy said:
There is 1,34 mol of X, 1,69 mol of Y and 1,95 mol of Z at equilibrium.
Calculate the equilibrium constant for the following reaction: [tex]2X + Y_2 \rightleftharpoons 2XY[/tex]

or sometimes the coefficients are left out in the equilbrium equation.

What I'm trying to say is that the coefficients are never the same as the number of moles given in the assignment.

I want to use

[tex]cC + dD \rightleftharpoons aA + bB[/tex]

[tex]K=\frac{[A]^a ^b}{[C]^c[D]^d}[/tex]

Should I use the coefficient in the equation or the exact number of moles from the assignment?

The definition of the equilibrium constant is true regardless of how many moles of X or Y you (or anyone else) are given. Why would you want to change a definition? 2X + Y2 ---> 2XY means that under equilibrium there is a definite realtionship for each of these species.

Start by writing the equlibrium equation for your example.

I start with 1 mol H2 and 2 mol CO2.
At one point, 85,5% of the hydrogen turned into water.

They want the eq. constant of the following reaction:
[tex]H_2(g) + CO_2(g) \rightleftharpoons H_2O(g) + CO(g)[/tex]

Code:
________________________________|H2_____|CO2____|H2O______|CO
Amount of substance at start____|1______|2______|0________|0
Change__________________________|-0,855_|-0,855_|+0,855___|+0,855
Amount of substance at eq.______|0,145__|1,145__|0,855____|0,855
Concentration at eq.____________|A______|B______|C________|D
I didn't get my LaTeX table to work here, so I hope this is just as readable.

If 85,5% of the 1 mol of hydrogen will turn into water, we will end up with 14,5% of the original amount; 0,145 mol of hydrogen. The other part of what was once hydrogen, is now water; an increase from 0 to 0,855.

Facing the CO2, I'm not quite sure what happens. I'm guessing since the reaction uses as much H2 as it does CO2 (equivalence?), equal amounts are turned into products. Hence, 0,855 is turned into CO and we end up with 1,145 mol of CO2.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

To be able to calculate the eq. constant, I need the concentrations at eq.
Now, in a previous problem, I was handling liquids with a given volume. Calculating the concentration was simple.
What do I do here?

reedy said:
I start with 1 mol H2 and 2 mol CO2.
At one point, 85,5% of the hydrogen turned into water.

They want the eq. constant of the following reaction:
[tex]H_2(g) + CO_2(g) \rightleftharpoons H_2O(g) + CO(g)[/tex]

Excellent! You are most of the way there! Next, write out the expression for the equilibrium constant (Keq) using the above equation.

reedy said:
If 85,5% of the 1 mol of hydrogen will turn into water, we will end up with 14,5% of the original amount; 0,145 mol of hydrogen. The other part of what was once hydrogen, is now water; an increase from 0 to 0,855.

Correct.

reedy said:
Facing the CO2, I'm not quite sure what happens. I'm guessing since the reaction uses as much H2 as it does CO2 (equivalence?), equal amounts are turned into products. Hence, 0,855 is turned into CO and we end up with 1,145 mol of CO2.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

No correction required...

reedy said:
To be able to calculate the eq. constant, I need the concentrations at eq... What do I do here?

You can make up any volume you want to. It applies to each of the starting materials/products. Use something convenient... like a liter.

You can make up any volume you want to. It applies to each of the starting materials/products. Use something convenient... like a liter.
So as long as I'm consistent, it doesn't matter how much I use?

In that case, I'll go for a liter, as you mentioned. No division needed.

Code:
________________________________|H2_____|CO2____|H2O______|CO
Amount of substance at start____|1______|2______|0________|0
Change__________________________|-0,855_|-0,855_|+0,855___|+0,855
Amount of substance at eq.______|0,145__|1,15___|0,855____|0,855
Concentration at eq.____________|0,145__|1,15___|0,855____|0,855

[tex]K=\frac{[H_2O][CO]}{[H_2][CO_2]}=\frac{0,855*0,855}{0,145*1,15}\approx 4,38[/tex]

And there we go. :smile:

Now try it with 23.7 liters and see what you get...

I was thinking of the algebra behind it and...

[tex]K=\frac{0,855*1*0,855*1}{0,145*1*1,15*1}[/tex]

[tex]K=\frac{0,855*0,5*0,855*0,5}{0,145*0,5*1,15*0,5}[/tex]

Since you apply the same volume to all the factors, they cancel each other out.

It's the amount of substance that makes the eq. constant.

Thanks CT!

What is an equilibrium equation?

An equilibrium equation is a mathematical representation of the balance between the reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It shows the relationship between the concentrations or pressures of the reactants and products at a given point in time.

What is a coefficient in an equilibrium equation?

A coefficient in an equilibrium equation is a number that represents the relative amount of a substance in a chemical reaction. It is written in front of a chemical formula and indicates the number of moles of that substance involved in the reaction. Coefficients are used to balance the equation and show the correct stoichiometry.

How do you write equilibrium equations?

Equilibrium equations are written by using chemical formulas to represent the reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. The reactants are written on the left side of the equation and the products on the right side. Coefficients are used to balance the equation and the reaction arrow is used to show the direction of the reaction.

What is the law of mass action?

The law of mass action is a fundamental principle in chemistry that describes the relationship between the concentrations of reactants and products in a chemical reaction at equilibrium. It states that at a constant temperature, the rate of a chemical reaction is directly proportional to the concentrations of the reactants.

How do you calculate equilibrium coefficients?

Equilibrium coefficients, also known as equilibrium constants, can be calculated using the concentrations or pressures of the reactants and products at equilibrium. The coefficients are calculated by dividing the concentration or pressure of the products by the concentration or pressure of the reactants, with each raised to the power of their respective coefficients in the balanced equation. The resulting value is the equilibrium coefficient for that particular reaction.