Equilibrium Question -- Thrust versus Lift....

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving finding the values of lift and resistance, given the thrust and weight of an aircraft. The solution involves using the angle of 30 degrees and trigonometric functions to find the values.
Rhineland

Homework Statement

Given:
Thrust: 103000 N
Lift = ?
Weight = 86500 N
Resistance = ?

Homework Equations

I'm just to figure out the value of resistance and lift.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to figure out a way to find out resistance, but with lift I believe it has something to do with the weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm missing something, but the answer appears trivial to me, and this is not an Advanced problem. The "Lift" is equal to the thrust and the "Resistance" is equal to the weight. Perhaps someone else will supply something different from that, but that is what I think the answer would be.

Likes berkeman
Charles Link said:
this is not an Advanced problem
Thread moved to Intro Physics. :smile:

Technically you cannot solve this problem without more information. Is the aircraft flying "in equilibrium" or is it accelerating?

Likes Charles Link
I forgot to mention that there was an angle of 30 degrees. Just had to use cos 30. Thanks for taking the time to reply back! No help needed anymore.

1. What is the difference between thrust and lift?

Thrust is the force that propels an object forward, while lift is the force that keeps an object in the air. Thrust is generated by engines or propellers, while lift is created by the shape and angle of an object's wings or blades.

2. How does thrust and lift affect equilibrium?

In order for an object to maintain equilibrium, the forces of thrust and lift must be in balance. If there is too much thrust, the object will accelerate forward. If there is too much lift, the object will rise. It is important for these forces to be equal in order for an object to remain stable.

3. Can an object have more thrust than lift?

Yes, an object can have more thrust than lift. This is often the case with airplanes during takeoff, as the thrust from the engines is greater than the lift generated by the wings. However, as the airplane gains speed, the lift will eventually become greater than the thrust and the plane will take off.

4. How is equilibrium maintained during flight?

In order for an object to maintain equilibrium during flight, the forces of thrust and lift must be constantly adjusted. This is done by the pilot through the use of control surfaces such as flaps, ailerons, and elevators. These surfaces change the shape and angle of the wings, allowing for adjustments in lift and thrust.

5. What happens if there is an imbalance between thrust and lift?

If there is an imbalance between thrust and lift, the object will experience a change in its flight path. For example, if there is more thrust than lift, the object will accelerate forward or climb. If there is more lift than thrust, the object will slow down or descend. It is important for pilots to constantly monitor and adjust these forces to maintain safe and stable flight.