Equilibrium solutions in double well potential duffing oscillator

In summary, for a duffing oscillator described by the equation x''+2gx'+ax+bx^3=0 with a<0, b>0, the equilibria at x=+- \sqrt{-a/b} are stable. To examine the behavior near an equilibrium point, the equation can be linearized by letting z = x-xo and rewriting the equation in terms of z, keeping only terms linear in z. The characteristic equation for this linearized differential equation can then be found using a Jacobian matrix.
Ratpigeon

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that for a duffing oscillator described by
x''+2g x'+ax+bx^3=0
with a<0, b>0
the equilibria at [itex]x=+- \sqrt{-a/b}[/itex] are stable

Homework Equations

I used coupled equations, and the characteristic equation of a linear system

The Attempt at a Solution

Coupled equations, x and x' related by
[itex]d/dt(x,x')=[[0,1],[-a-bx^2, -2g]](x,x')[/itex]

Setting x=+-[itex]\sqrt{-a/b}[/itex] gives the characteristic is

[itex]\lambda^2+2g \lambda+a+b(-a/b)=0[/itex]
But this can't be right since, i know from literature that the eigens are
[itex]\lambda 1=-g + \sqrt{g^2+2a}[/itex]
[itex]\lambda 2=-g- \sqrt{-g^2+2a}[/itex]
and this gives eigens 0 and -2g

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After you have reduced the equation to the system and found the equilibrium point, you have to linearize the system about the equilibrium point, and then find the eigenvalue of the linear system.

Since no one has chimed in yet, I'll throw in my 2 cents (and it might not be worth even that). I believe that one way to examine the behavior near an equilibrium point is to "linearize" the equation in the neighborhood of the equilibrium point. So, you could let z = x-xo where xo is an equilibrium point. Rewrite the differential equation in terms of z but keep only terms linear in z. Then find the characteristic equation for this linearized differential equation.

[Edit: Wow, I did not see voko's response. Sorry.]

I'd done all the linearising stuff - I found my problem; I needed to use a Jacobean matrix, instead of just a system

which are not the same as above
Your attempt at a solution is on the right track. However, there are a few errors in your calculations. Firstly, the characteristic equation should be:

\lambda^2+2g \lambda+a+b(-a/b)=0

This can be solved using the quadratic formula to give:

\lambda_{1,2} = -g \pm \sqrt{g^2-2a}

This matches the literature you have referenced.

Additionally, the eigenvalues of a matrix are not necessarily the same as the solutions to a characteristic equation. The eigenvalues of the matrix you have used are:

\lambda_{1,2} = -g \pm \sqrt{g^2+2a}

This is incorrect and does not match the characteristic equation.

To show that the equilibria at x=+- \sqrt{-a/b} are stable, you can use the Routh-Hurwitz stability criterion. This states that if all the coefficients in the characteristic equation have the same sign, then all the roots have negative real parts and the system is stable. In this case, all the coefficients are positive, so the equilibria are stable. Additionally, you can also use the Lyapunov stability theorem to prove stability at these equilibria.

1. What is a double well potential Duffing oscillator?

A double well potential Duffing oscillator is a type of nonlinear oscillator that has two stable equilibrium points, known as the "wells", and a central unstable equilibrium point. It is a mathematical model used to describe a variety of physical systems, including electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and mechanical systems.

2. How do equilibrium solutions arise in a double well potential Duffing oscillator?

Equilibrium solutions arise in a double well potential Duffing oscillator when the system reaches a state where the forces and energy are balanced, and there is no net change in the system over time. This can occur at the two stable equilibrium points, where the system remains at rest, or at the unstable equilibrium point, where the system oscillates back and forth between the two wells.

3. What factors influence the equilibrium solutions in a double well potential Duffing oscillator?

The equilibrium solutions in a double well potential Duffing oscillator are influenced by several factors, including the amplitude and frequency of the external driving force, the stiffness and nonlinearity of the oscillator, and the initial conditions of the system. These factors can affect the stability and location of the equilibrium points.

4. How do the equilibrium solutions change over time in a double well potential Duffing oscillator?

The equilibrium solutions in a double well potential Duffing oscillator can change over time due to the effects of damping and external driving forces. Damping causes the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease, which can lead to the system settling at one of the stable equilibrium points. External driving forces can also cause the system to move between the two wells, leading to periodic or chaotic behavior.

5. What are the applications of studying equilibrium solutions in a double well potential Duffing oscillator?

Studying equilibrium solutions in a double well potential Duffing oscillator has various applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can help understand the behavior of real-world systems that exhibit nonlinear dynamics, such as electronic circuits, chemical reactions, and mechanical systems. It can also be used to design and control systems to achieve desired equilibrium states or to avoid unstable ones.