1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium under the action of concurrent forces

1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello all, I just finished a question on equilibrium. I wish I could upload a diagram or something but I don't know how to get it from my Microsoft oneNote to here. But basically there is a mass held In equilibrium by two ropes. on the left is mass 2 and on the right is mass 3. mass 3 = 200N

......../\50°.|.30°/\
    ......./...\....|...../...\
    .....m2....\...|.../.. m3(200n)
    ...............\..../
    .................V
    ................m1
    2. Relevant equations
    ƩF = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved everything and got everything correct. But that isn't the problem
    what I did was I got the Y-components and X components

so here is my question
    Fx2 - Fx3 = 0 ------> these are the x-components and I know the sum must be zero to be in equilibrium.( my question applies to y-component as well)
    why is it that we must Subtract the two?

is it because they are in opposite directions? i.e. <----(-)----0------(+)------->
    or is it because weight cannot be negative? cause if I add them together I get - newtons

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The net force on m1 has to be zero in equilibrium. That is valid for both the x and y components. If F2x and F3x are the x components of the forces exerted by the ropes, F2x+F3x=0. But these forces are opposite, and their magnitude is equal to the tension multiplied by the cosine of the given angle. The tension itself is positive. So F2x=-T2 sin(50°) and F3x=T3 sin(30°)

To upload picture, go to "go advanced" "manage attachment" "browse" and "upload"

ehild

Attached Files:

4. Feb 22, 2013 #3
    aahhhh makes sense now. thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook