Equipment Drawings and thickness of lines

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration with the quality of CAD drawings from vendors, where lines are often too thick and it is difficult to differentiate between different types of lines. The legacy of traditional drafting techniques, such as using different lead types and projection lines, has seemingly been lost with the advent of CAD. The overcrowding of drawings and dimensioning to hidden features are also cited as common issues. The conversation calls for a return to traditional drafting skills and the implementation of standards for CAD drawings.
rollingstein
Gold Member
Warning: Rant ahead

I get more and more drawings from vendors where all lines seem to be of the same thickness. Makes it awfully hard to tell if a line's a dimension line, a leader, a projection or a real part outline.

Do others share my annoyance? Is this an evil of the post-AutoCAD era? Or is this when they send me those as pdf's?

It's not just some iffy small vendor, but even reputable ones seem to send such uni-darkness line drawings.

Has the legacy of 2H, H, HB, B, 2B etc. been relegated to the trash can? Or am I unusually unlucky in encountering these moronic draftsmen?

Sigh.

/end rant

Engineering news on Phys.org
Its all too easy with 3d models. No one actually teaches good drafting anymore.

Also overcrowding of the page is my main irritation. I also hate when people dimension to hidden features. With cad systems it's just so much easier to create a new view.

People need to be forced to draw something on a board. Its a vital skill to plan the drawing in your head before you ever put pencil to paper.

Another thing I sorely miss, was the utility in paper drawings of projection lines between views. Merely by tracing down or horizontally one could often correlate features.

CAD has added liberty about placing views and made this so hard to decipher.

Anyways, asides of ranting, any constructive solutions to these problems? Surely CAD can be used in smarter ways? Have people seen CAD drawings that were exemplary or a pleasure to work with? I'd love some as examples to smack the next vendor on the head with when he shows up with one of their typical atrocities.

1. What is the purpose of equipment drawings?

Equipment drawings are used to illustrate the design and specifications of various equipment used in scientific experiments. These drawings provide important visual references for engineers, technicians, and other scientists to understand how the equipment works and how it should be assembled.

2. What do the different thicknesses of lines on equipment drawings represent?

The thickness of lines on equipment drawings can vary and each has a specific meaning. Thick lines typically represent the outline of the equipment, while medium lines represent visible edges and surfaces. Thin lines are used to show hidden features or internal components of the equipment.

3. How are equipment drawings created?

Equipment drawings are typically created using computer-aided design (CAD) software, which allows for precise measurements and detailed illustrations. The drawings are then saved in various file formats such as PDF or DWG for easy sharing and printing.

4. Why is it important to follow the standard line thicknesses on equipment drawings?

Following the standard line thicknesses on equipment drawings is crucial for consistency and clarity. It ensures that all drawings are uniform and easy to read, which is especially important when multiple people are working on the same project or referencing the drawings.

5. Can equipment drawings be used for troubleshooting and maintenance?

Yes, equipment drawings can be used for troubleshooting and maintenance purposes. These drawings provide a detailed visual representation of the equipment, making it easier to identify and address any issues that may arise. They can also be used as a reference when performing routine maintenance or repairs on the equipment.

Back