Equivalence of Derivations in the Wave Equation from Maxwell's Equations

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Valeria
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am actually following the derivation of the wave equation from Maxwell equations. And I do not understand one step, because in the task for the derivation I get a slightly different result (maybe they are equivalent, but I am not sure).

Homework Equations


In the attached file:
(1) - starting equation; (2) and (3) - necessary identities; (4) - final result from the book; (5) - my final result.

The Attempt at a Solution


(5) is the equation I got. As you can see, only one term is different. Is equation (5) equivalent then to equation (4)? If yes, how to get from (5) to (4)? If no, what could be incorrect?
 
Attachments
  • equations.png
    equations.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org