1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive EM Field in a 1D PC Hill Equation from Maxwell's Eq's.

1. Oct 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive from Maxwell's equations these Hill equations for 's' and 'p' mode waves;

[itex]s\hspace{3mm} modes: E(r,t) = \Psi_{s}(z)e^{i(\beta x - \omega t)}y \\[/itex]
    [itex]\hspace{10mm}Hill\, Equation for\, \Psi_{s}(z)\\[/itex]
    [itex] \hspace{17mm} \dfrac{d^{2}\Psi_{s}(z)}{dz^{2}} + q^{2}(z)\Psi_{s}(z) = 0,\hspace{5mm}q(z+d) = q(z)\\[/itex]

[itex]p\hspace{3mm} modes: B(r,t) = \Psi_{p}(z)e^{i(\beta x - \omega t)}y \\[/itex]
    [itex]\hspace{10mm}\mbox{General ODE with periodic coefficients for}\, \Psi_{p}(z)\\[/itex]
    [itex] \hspace{17mm} \dfrac{d^{2}\Psi_{p}(z)}{dz^{2}} -\dfrac{2}{n(z)}\dfrac{dn(z)}{dz}\dfrac{d\Psi_{p}(z)}{dz}+q^{2}(z)\Psi_{p}= 0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Maxwell's equations, combining Faraday's and Ampere's Laws and a vector identity.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I have the start down, I am just not sure on how to proceed from here;

Vector identity;

[itex] \nabla \times \nabla F = \nabla(\nabla \cdot F) - \nabla^{2}F[/itex]

applied to [itex] \nabla\cdot E = 0[/itex]

[itex]\nabla \times \nabla \times E = -\nabla^{2}E[/itex]

Faraday's Law then says that the curl of E equals the negative partial derivative of B with respect to t, and B equals μH so therefore;

[itex] \nabla \times E = -\dfrac{\partial B}{\partial t} = -\mu \dfrac{\partial H}{\partial t}[/itex]
    [itex]\nabla \times(\nabla \times E) = -\mu \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t}(\nabla \times H)[/itex]

and then as the curl of H equals the partial derivative of D with respect to t plus the current density which in this case will equal zero and D is equal to εE I can say;

[itex] \nabla \times H = (\dfrac{\partial D}{\partial t} + J(equal0)) \hspace{10mm} D = \epsilon E[/itex]
    [itex] \nabla \times \nabla \times E = -\mu \epsilon \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t}(\dfrac{\partial E}{\partial t}) [/itex]

[itex] \rightarrow \nabla^{2}E = \mu \epsilon \dfrac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial t^{2}}[/itex]

Then because the question gives an equation for E I have tried to substitute this in and simplify but I can't make much sense of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2
    Forgot to say that;

[itex] q^{2}(z) = k^{2}n^{2}(z) - \beta^{2},\hspace{5mm} \beta = kn_{in}sin \theta_{in}, \hspace{5mm}k=\dfrac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/itex]

and the second order differential of E with respect to t is;

[itex] \dfrac{\partial^{2} E}{\partial t^{2}} = -\omega^{2}\Psi(z)\exp^{i(\beta x-\omega t)}[/itex]

or

[itex] \dfrac{\partial^{2} E}{\partial t^{2}} = \Psi(z)[-\omega^{2}cos(\beta x - \omega t) + isin(\beta x - \omega t)] [/itex]

Nobody got any idea's to help me :/?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted