Derive EM Field in a 1D PC Hill Equation from Maxwell's Eq's.

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving Hill equations for s and p mode waves from Maxwell's equations. The equations for the modes are given, along with the general ODE with periodic coefficients for each mode. The process of deriving the equations is discussed, including the use of Faraday's Law and a vector identity. The equations also involve the parameters q, k, β, and the second order differential of E with respect to t. Further assistance is requested in simplifying the equations.
zhillyz

Homework Statement

Derive from Maxwell's equations these Hill equations for 's' and 'p' mode waves;

[itex]s\hspace{3mm} modes: E(r,t) = \Psi_{s}(z)e^{i(\beta x - \omega t)}y \\[/itex]
[itex]\hspace{10mm}Hill\, Equation for\, \Psi_{s}(z)\\[/itex]
[itex] \hspace{17mm} \dfrac{d^{2}\Psi_{s}(z)}{dz^{2}} + q^{2}(z)\Psi_{s}(z) = 0,\hspace{5mm}q(z+d) = q(z)\\[/itex]

[itex]p\hspace{3mm} modes: B(r,t) = \Psi_{p}(z)e^{i(\beta x - \omega t)}y \\[/itex]
[itex]\hspace{10mm}\mbox{General ODE with periodic coefficients for}\, \Psi_{p}(z)\\[/itex]
[itex] \hspace{17mm} \dfrac{d^{2}\Psi_{p}(z)}{dz^{2}} -\dfrac{2}{n(z)}\dfrac{dn(z)}{dz}\dfrac{d\Psi_{p}(z)}{dz}+q^{2}(z)\Psi_{p}= 0[/itex]

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations, combining Faraday's and Ampere's Laws and a vector identity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the start down, I am just not sure on how to proceed from here;

Vector identity;

[itex] \nabla \times \nabla F = \nabla(\nabla \cdot F) - \nabla^{2}F[/itex]

applied to [itex] \nabla\cdot E = 0[/itex]

[itex]\nabla \times \nabla \times E = -\nabla^{2}E[/itex]

Faraday's Law then says that the curl of E equals the negative partial derivative of B with respect to t, and B equals μH so therefore;

[itex] \nabla \times E = -\dfrac{\partial B}{\partial t} = -\mu \dfrac{\partial H}{\partial t}[/itex]
[itex]\nabla \times(\nabla \times E) = -\mu \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t}(\nabla \times H)[/itex]

and then as the curl of H equals the partial derivative of D with respect to t plus the current density which in this case will equal zero and D is equal to εE I can say;

[itex] \nabla \times H = (\dfrac{\partial D}{\partial t} + J(equal0)) \hspace{10mm} D = \epsilon E[/itex]
[itex] \nabla \times \nabla \times E = -\mu \epsilon \dfrac{\partial}{\partial t}(\dfrac{\partial E}{\partial t}) [/itex]

[itex] \rightarrow \nabla^{2}E = \mu \epsilon \dfrac{\partial^{2}E}{\partial t^{2}}[/itex]

Then because the question gives an equation for E I have tried to substitute this in and simplify but I can't make much sense of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to say that;

[itex] q^{2}(z) = k^{2}n^{2}(z) - \beta^{2},\hspace{5mm} \beta = kn_{in}sin \theta_{in}, \hspace{5mm}k=\dfrac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/itex]

and the second order differential of E with respect to t is;

[itex] \dfrac{\partial^{2} E}{\partial t^{2}} = -\omega^{2}\Psi(z)\exp^{i(\beta x-\omega t)}[/itex]

or

[itex] \dfrac{\partial^{2} E}{\partial t^{2}} = \Psi(z)[-\omega^{2}cos(\beta x - \omega t) + isin(\beta x - \omega t)] [/itex]

Nobody got any ideas to help me :/?

Last edited:

1. What are the Maxwell's equations?

The Maxwell's equations are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered fundamental laws of electromagnetism.

2. What is a 1D PC Hill equation?

A 1D PC Hill equation is a simplified version of the Maxwell's equations that is used to model electromagnetic fields in one-dimensional photonic crystals. It takes into account the periodicity of the crystal structure and allows for the calculation of the electromagnetic field in the crystal.

3. How is the EM field derived from Maxwell's equations in a 1D PC Hill equation?

The EM field in a 1D PC Hill equation is derived by solving the Maxwell's equations in a simplified form, taking into account the periodicity of the crystal structure. This involves using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms and boundary value problems to determine the electric and magnetic fields in the crystal.

4. What is the significance of deriving the EM field in a 1D PC Hill equation?

Deriving the EM field in a 1D PC Hill equation allows for the analysis and prediction of the behavior of electromagnetic waves in one-dimensional photonic crystals. This is important in fields such as optics and telecommunications, where the manipulation of light is crucial.

5. Are there any limitations to using the 1D PC Hill equation to derive the EM field?

Yes, there are limitations to using the 1D PC Hill equation. It is a simplified model and may not accurately represent the behavior of electromagnetic waves in more complex structures. Additionally, it assumes a one-dimensional crystal, whereas many real-world photonic crystals are three-dimensional. Therefore, it is important to consider the limitations of the model when interpreting the results.