Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Erebons: Planck mass Dark Matter particles

1. Aug 7, 2017 #1
    Erebon theory is a novel explanation of dark matter recently invented by Roger Penrose. Erebons are scalar particles of the order of a Planck mass which can only interact gravitationally. When erebons decay, they release their energy as oscillating classical gravitational waves on the order of the Planck frequency.

Erebon theory is actually part of Penrose' Conformal Cyclic Cosmology scheme, which is a competitor to the theory of inflation. Moreover, Penrose claims erebons may have already been detected by accident,
    quite analogous to the first accidental detection of the CMB
    . Here is one of the lectures from July 2017 in which Penrose first introduces the idea of erebons:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2017 #2

ohwilleke

Gold Member

The trouble with Planck mass (1.220910×1019 GeV/c2) dark matter with only gravitational interactions (i.e. collisionless dark matter) is that there is already a mountain of evidence to disfavor it observationally for the same reasons as pretty much any collisionless cold dark matter candidate of 100 GeV/c2 or more, unless it moves with warm dark matter velocities.

For example, the body text of Lin Wang, Da-Ming Chen, Ran Li "The total density profile of DM halos fitted from strong lensing" (July 31, 2017) explains:
    Similarly:
    Paolo Salucci and Nicola Turini, "Evidences for Collisional Dark Matter In Galaxies?" (July 4, 2017).

The bullet cluster is also a huge problem for this kind of model:
    Jounghun Lee, Eiichiro Komatsu, "Bullet Cluster: A Challenge to LCDM Cosmology" (May 22, 2010).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  4. Aug 7, 2017 #3
    so what is favored? just warm dark matter with k-ev mass?

5. Aug 8, 2017 #4

ohwilleke

Gold Member

That, or modified gravity, or something new that either hasn't been devised yet or has received little attention and analysis. My bets are on modified gravity, but WDM with kev mass particles and a few axion-like theories are still in the running in the particle dark matter camp.

Most notably, self-interacting dark matter theories are also in deep trouble (and like modified gravity, SIDM models also require a new or modified force as well as BSM particles).

6. Aug 8, 2017 #5
    I've offered this before - modified gravity that reproduces the success of MOND on the galaxy scale. planck-mass ultra light quantum mechanical black holes. no modifcation to the standard model, as planck-mass ultra light quantum mechanical black holes are not fundamental particles. the quantity of dark matter is reduced in modified gravity. so MOND + dark matter, since planck-mass ultra light quantum mechanical black holes could explain BAO and large scale structure and gravitational lensing. MOND would reduce how much dark matter is needed. dark matter as micro black holes would not require any changes in the standard model.

7. Aug 8, 2017 #6

ohwilleke

Gold Member

I don't think you are quite understanding what I mean to say, which is that the self-interaction between dark matter particles in a SIDM theory is the new force.

8. Aug 8, 2017 #7
    oh i was thinking of your other point that modified gravity, but that doesn't explain BAO and large scale structure formation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted