1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error analysis, multiplying an error

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    Equation: M (ΔT)=
    The question:
    If ΔT has an error of one degree, and i multiply it by the mass of an object (m) is the error in y still one

Attempted answer: or is it proportional to M i.e Δt plus or minus 1 degrees so the error in y is 2M?

P.S i need to be able to know the error for a whole bunch of values because im putting m delta t as an axis on a graph, would i have to work it out for each value of m ΔT

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2
    Hi welcome to physicsforums. :smile:

I suppose that with "degree", you mean degree Celcius. If you multiply with a constant (thus the constant has no or negligible error) then the percentual error remains the same.

You can find that answer yourself simply by trying:

5x20=100
    5x21=105

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. Nov 9, 2011 #3

uby

generally speaking, if you have an error in x then the error in y will be the derivative of the function used on x times the error in x. for a straight line, the derivative is a constant value, thus the error in y is a constant value times the error in x.

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4
    yeah thanks harrylin thats exactly what i was trying to figure out, much appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook