Error analysis: simple but confusing matter

In summary, the rules of thumb for significant figures are accurate when the error in one term is uncorrelated with the error in the other term, but when the error in one term is correlated with the error in the other term, the rules of thumb are inaccurate.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
Two rules give different answers for same expression
Dear all,

We learn students to work with significant figures. I guess we all know those rules of thumb. Now imagine I have an expression like L = 2x, where x is a length a the 2 is an amount, i.e. the value of a discrete 'function'. If x=0,72 m (2 significant figures), then L = 1,44 --> 1,4 (2 significant figures); we view the 2 as exact.

But if I write L=x+x, then L = 0,72+0,72=1,44, and I use the rule of thumb that I look at the same amount of decimals. What exactly is the origin of these contradicting accuracies?

Within error analysis, I can define a function z=f(x,y) and calculate the error dz as a function of dx and dy,

[tex]
dz = \sqrt{(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} dx)^2 + (\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy)^2 }
[/tex]

If z(x,y) = x+y, then

[tex]
dz = \sqrt{(dx)^2 + (dy)^2}
[/tex]

and if z(x,y)=x*y, then

[tex]
dz = |x*y|\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{x})^2 + (\frac{dy}{y})^2}
[/tex]

If I take y=x in z(x,y) = x+y, I obtain z=x+x and hence

[tex]
dz = \sqrt{2}|dx|
[/tex]

while if I take y=2 (dy=0) in z(x,y) = x*y, I obtain z=2x and hence

[tex]
dz = 2|dx| > \sqrt{2}|dx|
[/tex]

Do these two different errors for the same mathematical expression make sense? Does it have it have to do something with different meanings to the expressions z=2x and z=x+x and errors canceling each other out such that the first error is smaller than the second? And is the answer to this question also the answer for my first question about significant numbers and those rules of thumb? Any references to this? Many thanks! :)

Likes kith, Stephen Tashi and etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
haushofer said:
But if I write L=x+x
The problem with this is that the error in the first x is perfectly correlated with the error in the second x.

haushofer said:
Within error analysis, I can define a function z=f(x,y) and calculate the error dz as a function of dx and dy,
You forgot to include the terms for the covariance.

haushofer said:
What exactly is the origin of these contradicting accuracies?
In the expressions you used it is important that the errors in the different terms be uncorrelated. In ##y=2x## there is a single term so there is no issue. But in your other equations there are multiple terms and the usual formulas you mentioned only work if the covariance is zero.

Likes kith, haushofer, vanhees71 and 1 other person
I think @Dale is right, in my notes I have the more general formula, for a function of two variables ##z = f(x,y)##,$$s_z^2 = \left( \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \right)^2 s_x^2 + \left( \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \right)^2 s_y^2 + 2 \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} s_{xy}$$

Likes haushofer, Dale and vanhees71
Yes, this sounds right. Indeed, the derivation of the error formules assumes no dependence/correlation between the variables.

A nice example of how careful one needs to be with those tules of thumb. Thanks guys!

Likes etotheipi, vanhees71 and Dale

1. What is error analysis?

Error analysis is a process used in scientific research to identify and quantify the uncertainties or errors associated with measurements or calculations. It involves evaluating the sources and magnitudes of errors and determining their impact on the overall results of an experiment or study.

2. Why is error analysis important?

Error analysis is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of scientific data and conclusions. By identifying and quantifying errors, researchers can improve the precision and validity of their results, making them more useful and trustworthy for future studies and applications.

3. What are the types of errors in error analysis?

The two main types of errors in error analysis are systematic errors and random errors. Systematic errors are consistent and predictable, while random errors are unpredictable and can occur in any direction. Other types of errors include human errors, instrumental errors, and environmental errors.

4. How is error analysis performed?

Error analysis is typically performed by comparing a measured value or result to the true or accepted value. This involves calculating the difference between the two values and determining the percentage or absolute error. Statistical methods, such as standard deviation and confidence intervals, may also be used to analyze and quantify errors.

5. How can error analysis be minimized?

Error analysis can be minimized by using precise and accurate measurement tools, following proper experimental procedures, and repeating measurements multiple times to reduce random errors. It is also important to identify and account for potential sources of systematic errors, such as calibration errors or environmental factors, and to use appropriate statistical methods to analyze and minimize errors.