Error in Algebraic Construction or Computational Translation?

In summary, the person is seeking help with an equation they have manipulated into the form a=f(d) and then translated into a computer program. They are unsure if they have made a mistake in the manipulation or in programming the equation. Others point out that the problem may be with the use of degrees in a trig function and a mistake in distributing. The person acknowledges the mistake and plans to go back and check their work.
WhiskeyHammer
I have an equation that I've been trying to solve. I manipulated it until I had a=f(d) and then did by best to put it into a format the computer recognizes. However when I went back to check the results against the unsimplified version of the equation, they didn't work out as they should have; which tells me I screwed up manipulating the equation to a=f(d) or when I translated it from paper to program*. Im stumped.:confused:

If someone could take a look at my work for errors Id appreciate the second set of eyes.

Algebraic Manipulation:
Untitled.png

Im fairly certain of my work until the fourth line, but if you need to see how I got there let me know.

Computational Form:
a=((-2)(x^5)(G)(q))/(((8)((D-x)^3)(n))-((G)(x^4)(q)(((tan(12))(pi)(D-x))+x)))
This is where I feel like the problem might be. I am relatively inexperienced using long equations in a computer setting.

*the third possibility being that I messed up checking the equation, but it seemed more prudent to start here

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I can't see any problems with your algebra.

In your computation it looks like you have degrees in your trig function. Make sure your program is using degrees and not radians, or try converting to radians for the computation.

Early on, there's a part of the right of the form P-d. By the end it has become P+d. Look at the step between the second and third lines from the end.

haruspex said:
Early on, there's a part of the right of the form P-d. By the end it has become P+d. Look at the step between the second and third lines from the end.

Yup, that was it. I failed to reverse distribute properly.

That should fix all the math that comes after this equation, but it'll take me a couple of days to work my way back through it all again. Its always the fast simple math that messes me up over a long process.

Thanks guys!

WhiskeyHammer said:
I failed to reverse distribute properly.
Obvious, perhaps, but the way I track these things down is to plug in some values at the start and end of the manipulation and see if they agree. When I find a mismatch, I binary chop through the sequence of equations to find out where the value changed.

1. What does "error in algebraic construction" mean?

"Error in algebraic construction" refers to a mistake or inaccuracy in the process of creating an algebraic expression or equation. This can occur due to miscalculation, incorrect use of mathematical rules, or misunderstanding of the problem at hand.

2. How can errors in algebraic construction affect the accuracy of my results?

Errors in algebraic construction can lead to incorrect or inaccurate solutions, as the starting point of your calculations is flawed. This can result in incorrect answers, which can have significant consequences in terms of decision making or further analysis.

3. What is meant by "computational translation" in relation to errors?

"Computational translation" refers to the process of translating a mathematical problem or expression from its original form to a form that can be solved using a computer. Errors in computational translation can occur if the translation is not done accurately, leading to incorrect solutions.

4. How can I avoid errors in algebraic construction and computational translation?

To avoid errors, it is important to carefully check your work and calculations. Double-checking your steps and using multiple methods to solve a problem can also help catch any mistakes. Additionally, it is important to have a solid understanding of the mathematical concepts and rules being applied.

5. What should I do if I encounter an error in algebraic construction or computational translation?

If you encounter an error, it is important to go back and review your steps to identify where the mistake occurred. You may also want to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or colleague to get a second opinion and help troubleshoot the error. In some cases, starting over from the beginning may be necessary to ensure an accurate solution.