Error of Lin Approx with Taylors Formula

In summary: Here, the maximum value of fxx is 4e^2, the maximum value of fxy is 4e^2, and the maximum value of fyy is 4e^2. So the error is less than or equal to (1/2)[4e^2(x-1)^2+ 8e^2(x-1)(y-1)+ 4e^2(y-1)^2]= 2e^2[(x-1)^2+ 2(x-1)(y-1)+ (y-1)^2]= 2e^2[(x-1)^2+ 2xy- 2x- 2y+ 1+ (y
glog
Let f(x,y) = e^(x^2 + y^2)
Use Taylor's theorem to show that the error in the linear approximation L(1,1)(x,y) is at most 5e^2[(x-1)^2+(y-1)^2] if 0 <= x <= 1, 0 <= y <= 1.

I've taken the partial and second partial derivatives and tried plugging it into this theorem but I get messy algebra and cannot simplify to the above.

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi glog! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us your mess, and we'll try to unscramble it! :wink:

sure, thanks!

so i get the partial derivs:
f(x,y) = e^2
fx(x,y) = 2e^2
fy(x,y) = 2e^2
fxx(x,y) = 4e^2
fxy(x,y) = 4e^2
fyy(x,y) = 4e^2

I get my linear approx:
L1,1(x,y) = 2ex^2+2ey^2-3e^2

so then, by Taylor:
|e^(x^2 + y^2) - (2ex^2+2ey^2-3e^2)| = 1/2[fxx(1,1) x^2 + 2fxy(1,1) xy + fyy(1,1) y^2]

and to be honest, I'm not sure where to go from here. :s

glog said:
sure, thanks!

so i get the partial derivs:
f(x,y) = e^2
fx(x,y) = 2e^2
fy(x,y) = 2e^2
fxx(x,y) = 4e^2
fxy(x,y) = 4e^2
fyy(x,y) = 4e^2
Wrong notation. You mean f(1,1)= e^2 etc.

I get my linear approx:
L1,1(x,y) = 2ex^2+2ey^2-3e^2
That is not "linear"! Do you mean 2e^2 x+ 2e^2 y- 3e^2?

so then, by Taylor:
|e^(x^2 + y^2) - (2ex^2+2ey^2-3e^2)| = 1/2[fxx(1,1) x^2 + 2fxy(1,1) xy + fyy(1,1) y^2]

and to be honest, I'm not sure where to go from here. :s
No, "Taylor" doesn't say that! The error for the 2nd degree Taylor's polynomial function to f(x,y) about (a, b) is (1/2)[fxx(x*,y*)(x-1)^2+ 2fxy(x*,y*)(x-1)(y-1)+ fyy(x*,y*)(y-1)^2] where x* is some number between 1 and x and y* is some number between 1 and y. Of course we don't know what x* and y* are- if we did we could evaluate that "error", add it on and get the exact value! We do know that the error is less than or equal to that with fxx(x*,y*), fxy(x*,y*), and fyy(x*,y*) taken as as at least the maximum possible values between 1 and x, 1 and y.

1. What is the error of linear approximation using Taylor's formula?

The error of linear approximation using Taylor's formula is the difference between the actual value of a function and its approximation using the first few terms of its Taylor series. This error is often denoted as "E" and can be calculated using the remainder term of the Taylor series.

2. How is the error of linear approximation affected by the number of terms used in Taylor's formula?

The error of linear approximation decreases as the number of terms used in Taylor's formula increases. This is because including more terms in the Taylor series improves the accuracy of the approximation.

3. Is the error of linear approximation always positive?

No, the error of linear approximation can be positive or negative. It depends on the function and the point of approximation. If the function is concave up (convex) at the point of approximation, the error will be negative. If the function is concave down (concave) at the point of approximation, the error will be positive.

4. Can the error of linear approximation be reduced to zero?

In theory, yes. If an infinite number of terms are used in Taylor's formula, the error of linear approximation can be reduced to zero. However, in practice, it is not possible to use an infinite number of terms, so there will always be some residual error.

5. How can the error of linear approximation be used to estimate the accuracy of an approximation?

The error of linear approximation can be used to estimate the accuracy of an approximation by providing an upper bound for the error. This means that the actual error will always be less than or equal to the error of linear approximation. Therefore, the smaller the error of linear approximation, the more accurate the approximation will be.