1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Error of Lin Approx with Taylors Formula

1. Jun 13, 2008 #1
    Let f(x,y) = e^(x^2 + y^2)
    Use Taylor's theorem to show that the error in the linear approximation L(1,1)(x,y) is at most 5e^2[(x-1)^2+(y-1)^2] if 0 <= x <= 1, 0 <= y <= 1.

I've taken the partial and second partial derivatives and tried plugging it into this theorem but I get messy algebra and cannot simplify to the above.

Thanks guys.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi glog! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us your mess, and we'll try to unscramble it! :wink:
  4. Jun 13, 2008 #3
    sure, thanks!

so i get the partial derivs:
    f(x,y) = e^2
    fx(x,y) = 2e^2
    fy(x,y) = 2e^2
    fxx(x,y) = 4e^2
    fxy(x,y) = 4e^2
    fyy(x,y) = 4e^2

I get my linear approx:
    L1,1(x,y) = 2ex^2+2ey^2-3e^2

so then, by Taylor:
    |e^(x^2 + y^2) - (2ex^2+2ey^2-3e^2)| = 1/2[fxx(1,1) x^2 + 2fxy(1,1) xy + fyy(1,1) y^2]

and to be honest, i'm not sure where to go from here. :s
  5. Jun 13, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Wrong notation. You mean f(1,1)= e^2 etc.

That is not "linear"! Do you mean 2e^2 x+ 2e^2 y- 3e^2?

No, "Taylor" doesn't say that! The error for the 2nd degree Taylor's polynomial function to f(x,y) about (a, b) is (1/2)[fxx(x*,y*)(x-1)^2+ 2fxy(x*,y*)(x-1)(y-1)+ fyy(x*,y*)(y-1)^2] where x* is some number between 1 and x and y* is some number between 1 and y. Of course we don't know what x* and y* are- if we did we could evaluate that "error", add it on and get the exact value! We do know that the error is less than or equal to that with fxx(x*,y*), fxy(x*,y*), and fyy(x*,y*) taken as as at least the maximum possible values between 1 and x, 1 and y.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?