Error on using a curve of best fit for extrapolation

In summary, you fit an exponential curve to data points and approximate values between the points using the equation. You calculate the uncertainty in the values using the least-squares method.
Woland
Hello everyone,

I did a quick search but could not find this in the forums.

I have quite a basic situation. I have been gathering data points from an experiment and was able to fit an exponential curve of best fit to it. What I want to do is approximate some values between my data points using this curve. My approach is to just use the equation of the curve and plug in the desired number. I will then add the uncertainty to it.

This uncertainty is what I am drawing a blank with. Does anyone know what method I could use to calculate this uncertainty. I have a feeling this is really simple, but... I can't remember anything yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Woland said:
Hello everyone,

I did a quick search but could not find this in the forums.

I have quite a basic situation. I have been gathering data points from an experiment and was able to fit an exponential curve of best fit to it. What I want to do is approximate some values between my data points using this curve. My approach is to just use the equation of the curve and plug in the desired number. I will then add the uncertainty to it.

This uncertainty is what I am drawing a blank with. Does anyone know what method I could use to calculate this uncertainty. I have a feeling this is really simple, but... I can't remember anything yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

If your curve is:

y=exp(c*x)

Your extrapolation error will be roughly:

Y=exp(sigma_c (x2-x1))+sigma_yo

Where:
sigma_c is the standard deviation in your estimate of c.
x1 is the point you are extrapolating from
x2 is the point you are extrapolating to.
sigma_yo is your initial error.

which method are you using to get the error equation?

I was thinking of something along the lines of:
If I have y = A exp(Bx) as my best fit, I can take the ln of both sides:

ln y = B lnA + B ln x

I can now do a line of best fit and find sigma lny, sigma A and sigma B.
These are the uncertainties in the fit which I get from the least - squares method. I can now use the error propagation formula to get the uncertainty in y.

My question is, where do I incorporate the uncertainty in my measurments.

Woland said:
which method are you using to get the error equation?

I was thinking of something along the lines of:
If I have y = A exp(Bx) as my best fit, I can take the ln of both sides:

ln y = B lnA + B ln x

I can now do a line of best fit and find sigma lny, sigma A and sigma B.
These are the uncertainties in the fit which I get from the least - squares method. I can now use the error propagation formula to get the uncertainty in y.

My question is, where do I incorporate the uncertainty in my measurments.

Well, let's say y=<y(x)>+rv
Where:
<y(x)> is the mean value of y at x and rv is a random variable.

Lets assume for a sec that rv is a quasian distribution then:

P(y)=integral{-00,-00}1/(sigma*2pi)*exp(-(y-y_bar)^2/(2*sigma^2))dy

To get ln y do a change of variables on the above expression for P(y)

u=ln(y) <=> y=exp(u)

The term inside the integrand will be your new distribution function for ln y

See functions of random variables:
http://cnx.org/content/m11066/latest/

Keep in mind that
<ln y>
does not equal
ln <y>

Thus a least mean squared fit of ln y will be biased. Measurements where y is much smaller then the standard deviation of the random variable will be more biased. You can do the transformation before the fit but if your error is large compared to your measurement then you’ll need to use maximum likelihood. If you use least squares then weight large values of y exponentially more then small values of y.

Also note that:

if <y>=Aexp(BX)
Then:
<ln y> does not equal: BX + ln(A)

Rather it is equal to <ln (<y(x)> +rv)>

Which we can’t really separate neatly into the form you gave.

Ah thank you for clarifying. I knew something was too easy about my approach. I don't have time to try this now, but I am sure it will work. Thank you.

1. What is a curve of best fit?

A curve of best fit is a line or curve that represents the general trend of a set of data points. It is created by finding the line or curve that minimizes the distance between the data points and the line or curve. This line or curve can be used to make predictions or estimates about values that fall outside of the data set.

2. How is a curve of best fit used for extrapolation?

A curve of best fit can be used for extrapolation by extending the line or curve beyond the last known data point. This allows for predicting values that fall outside of the known data range. However, it is important to note that extrapolation is not always accurate and should be used with caution.

3. What are the potential errors when using a curve of best fit for extrapolation?

There are several potential errors that can occur when using a curve of best fit for extrapolation. These include extrapolation beyond the data range, overfitting the data, and assuming a linear relationship when it is not present. These errors can lead to inaccurate predictions and should be taken into consideration when using extrapolation.

4. How can the accuracy of extrapolation using a curve of best fit be improved?

The accuracy of extrapolation using a curve of best fit can be improved by collecting more data points, ensuring that the data is representative of the entire data set, and using different mathematical models to fit the data. Additionally, it is important to analyze the data and consider any potential limitations or errors before making predictions using extrapolation.

5. When is it appropriate to use a curve of best fit for extrapolation?

A curve of best fit should only be used for extrapolation when there is a clear, consistent trend in the data and the data is representative of the entire data set. It is important to also consider the potential errors and limitations of extrapolation and only use it when necessary. In some cases, it may be more appropriate to use interpolation or other methods of estimation.