Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Errors while solving an inverted matrix in Matlab

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    Hey,
    i've been trying to find a better fit for a correlation, the numbers i'm dealing with are really small and when i try to solve for the coefficients using the inverse function on the matrices in Matlab i get this error:

Warning: Matrix is close to singular or badly scaled. Results
    may be inaccurate. RCOND = 5.541639e-25.

I tried solving the inverted matrix in excel and the results didn't make much sense either! is there an other way to solve this problem? I really can't solve it by hand it'll take me ages.

i'm open to any suggestion...

J.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You might have better luck if you stated the problem you are trying to solve rather than making the problem "How do I numerically invert a nearly singular matrix?".

If the problem is going to be "How do I numerically invert a nearly singular matrix?" then this link might help.http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/157000 It suggests using a pseudo-inverse instead of an inverse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook