Escape velocity for Saturn (Introductory Mechanics)

In summary: Also, for the escape speed, you can use the equation (1/2)mv^2 - GMm/r = 0, since the final speed is 0. In summary, to solve for the initial speed needed for the object to have a final speed of 17500 m/s, you can use the energy principle and take into account the negative gravitational potential energy. For the escape speed, you can use the equation (1/2)mv^2 - GMm/r = 0, where the final speed is 0.
najatau

Homework Statement

The radius of Saturn (from the center to just above the atmosphere) is 60,300 km (60300✕10^3 m), and its mass is 570✕10^24 kg. An object is launched straight up from just above the atmosphere of Saturn.

(a) What initial speed is needed so that when the object is far from Saturn its final speed is 17500 m/s?
My computer's answer is, "43,200 m/s"

(b) What initial speed is needed so that when the object is far from Saturn its final speed is 0 m/s? (This is called the "escape speed.")
My computer's answer is, "35,600 m/s"[/B]

Homework Equations

Energy principle

The Attempt at a Solution

For a), I get 7,747.58, which doesn't match either problem. I'm not getting b) right either.

This is a practice version of the problem, and I keep thinking I'm going about the right process for solving it, but I don't get the same answers they do, so I can't be. I've tried different variations on the energy principle:

PE (initial) - UE (initial) = PE (final) - PE (initial)

The mass of the object cancels across the equation if kinetic energy is (1/2)mv2 and potential energy is (6.7x10-11*Mm)/(r)

I thought that the way to get escape speed was sqrt(2GM/R) or sqrt((2GM/R)+vi), but that is not working for me either. I'd really like to learn how to do these problems. I have four other similar ones that I think I'm supposed to use this same principle for, but my answers are continually wrong when I do the practice versions.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the numerical value for the speed? Did you take into account that the gravitational potential energy is negative?

1. What is escape velocity for Saturn?

The escape velocity for Saturn is the minimum speed that an object needs to travel in order to escape the gravitational pull of the planet. It is calculated by taking into account the mass and radius of Saturn.

2. How is escape velocity for Saturn calculated?

The escape velocity for Saturn is calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/R), where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of Saturn, and R is the radius of Saturn.

3. What is the escape velocity for Saturn in kilometers per second?

The escape velocity for Saturn is approximately 35.5 kilometers per second. This means that an object needs to travel at a speed of 35.5 km/s in order to escape the gravitational pull of the planet.

4. How does escape velocity for Saturn compare to other planets?

The escape velocity for Saturn is lower than that of Jupiter, which has a much greater mass and therefore a stronger gravitational pull. However, it is higher than the escape velocity for smaller planets like Earth and Mars.

5. Can escape velocity for Saturn change?

Yes, the escape velocity for Saturn can change depending on factors such as the mass and composition of the planet, or if it is affected by the gravitational pull of other objects. However, for practical purposes, it remains relatively constant.