1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

KE+PE when a rocket's speed is less than escape velocity?

1. Jul 18, 2017 #1
    Hey people, I just want to ask that what will happen to the total mechanical force of the rocket if its speed is less than escape velocity?
    a. KE+PE=0
    b. KE+PE>0
    c. KE+PE<0
    d. Depends upon initial speed of the rocket
    Pick one. And Why??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2017 #2
    I guess C because at infinity we will have PE=0 and KE> 0 or equal to zero. As the rocket has not the tendency to move to infinity we conclude that
    PE+KE <0

4. Jul 18, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I appreciate that it was a bit tricky with this one, but the rule on homework forums is to give hints and point out errors, not provide complete solutions.
    Correspondingly, @GrimReaper should have used the homework template and shown some attempt before meriting any help.

5. Jul 18, 2017 #4
    I'm sorry if it was a mistake. And I'm totally new to this so I actually don't know how to use this. Thank you for the directions @haruspex.

6. Jul 18, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

7. Jul 18, 2017 #6
  8. Jul 18, 2017 #7
    Why is there no answer to this question? (Apart from the obvious fact that the question asks about force and gives answers in energy...)

9. Jul 18, 2017 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The reference to force in the question statement is clearly an error. It should have said energy.
    The answer is given in post #2.

10. Jul 19, 2017 #9
    oh sorry, actually its energy. I mistakenly typed force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted