KE+PE when a rocket's speed is less than escape velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of a rocket's speed on its mechanical force and energy. The correct answer is C because at infinity, potential energy is zero and kinetic energy is greater than or equal to zero. As the rocket does not tend to move towards infinity, the sum of potential and kinetic energy is less than zero. Additionally, the conversation mentions the rules for providing help on homework forums and the importance of following the guidelines.
GrimReaper
Hey people, I just want to ask that what will happen to the total mechanical force of the rocket if its speed is less than escape velocity?
a. KE+PE=0
b. KE+PE>0
c. KE+PE<0
d. Depends upon initial speed of the rocket
Pick one. And Why??

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess C because at infinity we will have PE=0 and KE> 0 or equal to zero. As the rocket has not the tendency to move to infinity we conclude that
PE+KE <0

Likes GrimReaper
Gabriele Pinna said:
I guess C because at infinity we will have PE=0 and KE> 0 or equal to zero. As the rocket has not the tendency to move to infinity we conclude that
PE+KE <0
I appreciate that it was a bit tricky with this one, but the rule on homework forums is to give hints and point out errors, not provide complete solutions.
Correspondingly, @GrimReaper should have used the homework template and shown some attempt before meriting any help.

Likes gneill
haruspex said:
I appreciate that it was a bit tricky with this one, but the rule on homework forums is to give hints and point out errors, not provide complete solutions.
Correspondingly, @GrimReaper should have used the homework template and shown some attempt before meriting any help.
haruspex said:
I'm sorry if it was a mistake. And I'm totally new to this so I actually don't know how to use this. Thank you for the directions @haruspex.

Why is there no answer to this question? (Apart from the obvious fact that the question asks about force and gives answers in energy...)

mjc123 said:
Why is there no answer to this question? (Apart from the obvious fact that the question asks about force and gives answers in energy...)
The reference to force in the question statement is clearly an error. It should have said energy.
The answer is given in post #2.

haruspex said:
The reference to force in the question statement is clearly an error. It should have said energy.
The answer is given in post #2.
oh sorry, actually its energy. I mistakenly typed force.

1. What is KE+PE when a rocket's speed is less than escape velocity?

KE+PE, or kinetic energy plus potential energy, is a measure of the total energy of a rocket when its speed is less than escape velocity. It is the sum of the rocket's kinetic energy, which is the energy it possesses due to its motion, and its potential energy, which is the energy it possesses due to its position in a gravitational field.

2. How is KE+PE affected when a rocket's speed is less than escape velocity?

When a rocket's speed is less than escape velocity, its KE+PE is affected by the rocket's mass, the planet's gravitational pull, and the rocket's height above the planet's surface. The rocket's KE+PE will be at its maximum when it is at the planet's surface and decreases as it gains altitude.

3. What happens to KE+PE when a rocket's speed is increased beyond escape velocity?

When a rocket's speed is increased beyond escape velocity, its KE+PE will increase as well. However, the rocket's kinetic energy will be greater than its potential energy, and the total energy will be positive. This means that the rocket has enough energy to escape the planet's gravitational pull and continue into space.

4. How is the concept of KE+PE important in rocket launches?

The concept of KE+PE is important in rocket launches because it helps determine the amount of energy needed for a rocket to escape the planet's gravitational pull. By calculating the KE+PE at different stages of the launch, scientists and engineers can determine the ideal trajectory and speed for the rocket to reach its desired destination.

5. Can a rocket with a speed less than escape velocity still reach space?

Yes, a rocket with a speed less than escape velocity can still reach space. As long as the rocket has enough energy to overcome the planet's gravitational pull, it can continue to gain altitude and eventually reach space. However, it may require more fuel and a longer trajectory compared to a rocket with a speed greater than escape velocity.