Escape Velocity from Earth-Moon System

In summary, to find the projectile's escape speed from the earth-moon system, we need to consider the work required to move an object from the far side of the Moon to infinity without the presence of either planet. This value would be equal to the escape velocity of the object from the earth-moon system. We do not need to take into account the mass of the object, as it cancels out in the equations for kinetic and potential energy. The escape velocities for Earth and the Moon are 11.2 km/s and 2.375 km/s respectively.
acfryman

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired straight away from the moon from a base on the far side of the moon, away from the earth. What is the projectile's escape speed from the earth-moon system?

m_earth= 5.97x10^24kg
m_moon= 7.348x10^22kg
radius_earth= 6.371x10^6m

Homework Equations

V_esc=√(2GM/R)
KE=.5mv^2
PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought was that you would use the escape velocity equation and take into account the mass of both the Earth and moon, and for the radius, sum the radius of Earth, the distance between the Earth and moon, and the diameter of the moon. That wasn't right.

I then considered the kinetic energy required to escape both systems separately, and then went to sum those and solve for the velocity using KE=.5mv^2, but without a mass for the body that won't work. I also know that escape velocity isn't dependent on mass of the object escaping, so I also disregarded this method.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
acfryman said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired straight away from the moon from a base on the far side of the moon, away from the earth. What is the projectile's escape speed from the earth-moon system?

m_earth= 5.97x10^24kg
m_moon= 7.348x10^22kg
radius_earth= 6.371x10^6m

Homework Equations

V_esc=√(2GM/R
KE=.5mv^2
PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I then considered the kinetic energy required to escape both systems separately, and then went to sum those and solve for the velocity using KE=.5mv^2, but without a mass for the body that won't work.

m appears to the 1st power in potential as well as kinetic energy so it cancels.

Take a mass m at infinity. How much work does it take to bring it to the Moon's far surface if the Earth were not there?

Same deal, how much work to bring it to within the distance between the Earth's c.m. and the far side of the Moon if the Moon were not there?

rude man said:
m appears to the 1st power in potential as well as kinetic energy so it cancels.

Take a mass m at infinity. How much work does it take to bring it to the Moon's far surface if the Earth were not there?

Same deal, how much work to bring it to within the distance between the Earth's c.m. and the far side of the Moon if the Moon were not there?

I'm assuming that you're setting KE and PE equal to one another to cancel out mass, as you mentioned, and then using that to solve for the escape velocities, and that makes sense. I have the values for the escape velocities. To escape Earth's gravitational pull, the velocity is 11.2 km/s and to escape the moon, you need a velocity of 2.375 km/s.

I'm confused about the second part though. How do you find the work value for each of those scenarios?

The escape velocity from Earth does not enter the picture.

Look at it a bit differently from what I said before. m located a certain distance from Earth (from its c.m. to be precise) on the far side of the Moon. Pretend the Moon is not there. How much work would you have to apply to m to move it to infinity? Call it W1.

Now, same question, but the Earth is not there & m is on the far side of the Moon. How much work W2 to move m to infinity?

Then, what is the relationship between W1, W2 and the escape velocity from the Moon's surface, heading to infinity, where the velocity finally reaches zero?

Do not try to use formulas for escape velocity. Reason the problem out, keeping conservation of energy in mind.

Finally, I looked at the potential energy, and I'm not sure if I can use this to solve for escape velocity. However, I know that the potential energy at infinity is 0, so I set the potential energy of the projectile at the moon's surface equal to the potential energy at infinity.

PE=mgh
0=mgh
√(2GM/R)=√(2GM/R)

This doesn't give me a numerical answer, but it does show that the escape velocity from the Earth-moon system is equal to the escape velocity from the moon's surface, which makes sense since the projectile is already on the moon's surface. Additionally, this equation does take into account the mass of both the Earth and moon, as well as the distance between them. However, this approach assumes that the projectile is starting from rest on the moon's surface, which may not be the case in the given scenario. To accurately calculate the escape velocity, more information about the initial conditions of the projectile would be needed.

1. What is escape velocity from the Earth-Moon System?

Escape velocity from the Earth-Moon System is the minimum speed that an object needs to reach in order to break free from the gravitational pull of both the Earth and the Moon. It is the speed at which an object can overcome the gravitational force and travel away from the Earth-Moon system.

2. How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity can be calculated using the formula:
Ve = √(2GM/R), where Ve is the escape velocity, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the combined mass of the Earth and the Moon, and R is the distance between the center of mass of the Earth and the Moon.

3. What is the escape velocity from the Earth-Moon System?

The escape velocity from the Earth-Moon System is approximately 2.38 km/s. This means that an object needs to travel at a speed of 2.38 km/s or higher in order to break free from the gravitational pull of the Earth and the Moon.

4. Why is escape velocity important?

Escape velocity is important because it determines whether an object can successfully leave the Earth-Moon System and enter into orbit around another celestial body or continue on its journey into space. It is also essential for spacecrafts to have enough escape velocity to leave the Earth's orbit and explore other planets and moons in the solar system.

5. Can escape velocity vary?

Yes, the escape velocity from the Earth-Moon System can vary depending on the distance between the Earth and the Moon. It also depends on the mass of the objects and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies in the vicinity. Additionally, the escape velocity can be affected by factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object.