Intuition for why escape velocity doesn't depend on angle

In summary, an object at escape velocity will have zero energy if it's placed in a finite circular orbit, but will have positive energy if it's placed in an infinite orbit.
RubinLicht

Homework Statement

solve for escape velocity from Earth's surface

Homework Equations

just either use the line integral, and the tangential term disappears, or just use the energy equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved it, but I'm having some trouble just coming to grips with this.

in terms of motion, isn't it possible to have circular motion around the Earth at any radius? so, if you launch at some arbitrary angle from the earth, could there be an angle that you launch at where the mass ends up more in an orbit rather than escaping Earth's gravitational field? (or maybe the total energy associated with circular motion is less than escape velocity, in which case I guess this is not possible, I'll work this out in a bit)

now that I think about it, if you solve the conservation of energy equation, isn't there an implicit assumption that the mass will take the path such that it ends up at an infinite distance from earth? is this a valid assumption? does energy guarantee that a particle will take a path that arrives at "infinite" radius? I thought it only guaranteed that there's enough energy to reach that state, but it might not necessarily ever get there?

please ask for clarification if my reasoning is hazy

Physics news on Phys.org
RubinLicht said:
isn't it possible to have circular motion around the Earth at any radius?
Yes, but how does the KE depend on that? Write the equations.

haruspex said:
Yes, but how does the KE depend on that? Write the equations.
KE= (m*Re^2*g) /(2*r)

I'm not sure what this implies, though.

RubinLicht said:
KE= (m*Re^2*g) /(2*r)

I'm not sure what this implies, though.
So as r increases without limit, what happens to the KE?

v
haruspex said:
So as r increases without limit, what happens to the KE?
vanishes, but isn't that the same end behavior as a mass launched at escape velocity? it vanishes as r - > infinite?

RubinLicht said:
isn't that the same end behavior as a mass launched at escape velocity?
At escape velocity, yes, but what about more?
But sorry, that's not answering your question...

RubinLicht said:
maybe the total energy associated with circular motion is less than escape velocity
Again, write the equation. What is the total energy, and what is the limit? How does that compare with the total energy at escape velocity? What does that imply for any finite orbit?

Oh I see, it's double that of a mass in circular orbit. makes sense, thanks.

RubinLicht said:
Oh I see, it's double that of a mass in circular orbit. makes sense, thanks.
Not quite sure what you mean there.
By convention, we take GPE at infinity as zero, making it negative for all lesser distances.
In a circular orbit at infinity, its KE is also zero, so zero total energy.
In a finite circular orbit, the KE has half the magnitude of the GPE, so net negative energy.
Since it is just enough to reach infinity, an object at escape velocity has total zero energy.
An object faster than escape velocity has positive energy, so will not enter a circular orbit even at infinity.

haruspex said:
Not quite sure what you mean there.
By convention, we take GPE at infinity as zero, making it negative for all lesser distances.
In a circular orbit at infinity, its KE is also zero, so zero total energy.
In a finite circular orbit, the KE has half the magnitude of the GPE, so net negative energy.
Since it is just enough to reach infinity, an object at escape velocity has total zero energy.
An object faster than escape velocity has positive energy, so will not enter a circular orbit even at infinity.

I see. that helps me interpret my math more clearly, thanks.

1. What is escape velocity and why is it important?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as a planet or moon. It is important because it determines whether an object will remain in orbit or continue to travel away from the larger body.

2. How is escape velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating escape velocity is: v = √(2GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the larger body.

3. Why doesn't escape velocity depend on the angle at which an object is launched?

Escape velocity is solely dependent on the mass of the larger body and the distance from its center. The angle at which an object is launched does not affect its gravitational potential energy, which is the key factor in determining escape velocity.

4. Can an object achieve escape velocity at any angle?

Yes, an object can achieve escape velocity at any angle as long as it reaches the required speed. However, launching an object at an angle other than straight up would require more energy and a more complex trajectory to reach the necessary speed.

5. Is escape velocity the same for all objects regardless of their mass?

No, escape velocity is dependent on the mass of the larger body. The larger the mass of the body, the higher the escape velocity required to escape its gravitational pull.