1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Establish formula f in terms of l, T and m

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known dataQuestion: Assuming that the frequency of vibration f, of a wire/string depends on the length l, tension T and mass per unit length m, establish a formula for f in terms of l, T and m.,f, l, T and m

2. Relevant equationsDon"t know

3. The attempt at a solutionnot tried yet can any one help me in solving this. can anyone tell me how to solve it

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2
    At what level are you studying the subject?

There are two approaches possible here.

If you've only just started studying physics, then this is most likely a problem in dimensional analysis.

Assume that the frequency is a function of the mass per unit length, [tex]\mu[/tex], the total length of the wire, [tex]\ell[/tex] and the tension in the wire, [tex]T[/tex]

[tex]f=\mu ^\alpha \cdot \ell ^ \beta \cdot T^ \gamma[/tex]

Remember that the dimensions of the RHS must be exactly the same as those of the LHS.

I'll give you a lead, and say that the dimensions of frequency are: [tex][f]=[T]^{-1}[/tex]

If, however, you are studying this in a wave context, review your book and look at the section on waves in wires and look at the original question, since what you've posted can be interpreted as a multitude of things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook