Frequency & Wavelength of a Vibrating Wire

TRB8985
Homework Statement
A 5.00 m, 0.732 kg wire is used to support two uniform 235 N posts of equal length. Assume that the wire is essentially horizontal and that the speed of sound is 344 m/s. A strong wind is blowing, causing the wire to vibrate in its 5th overtone. What are the frequency and wavelength this wire produces?
(Theta = 57.0°)
Relevant Equations
f_n = n * v/2L ; v = sqrt(F/mu) ; v_sound = f_n * lambda_sound
Good morning,

I'm working through the problem from the homework statement above and answered it correctly, but I can't help but feel that something important is missing.

I was able to correctly identify the sum of torques by using the following diagram, where the CCW rotational direction represents a positive torque:

UntitledPF3.png

Equating the torque due to the weight of the post and the torque due to the tension (relative to point alpha) looks like this:
$$ W_{post} \cdot \frac {l}{2} cos(\theta) = T \cdot l sin(\theta) $$
This works out great, since the unknown length of the post (which I'm calling ##l##) cancels out and the tension can be used to solve the problem and get the right answer.

However, shouldn't we technically be including an additional torque due to the weight of the wire? Like this?

UntitledPF4.png

I wanted to try this and see what happens, but there's no obvious way to equate the torques which cancels out the length of the post like before:
$$ W_{post} \cdot \frac {l}{2} cos(\theta) = T \cdot l sin(\theta) + W_{wire} \cdot (2.50 m - l cos(\theta)) $$ It's possible to use geometry and determine the internal angles of this isoceles trapezoid figure, but that's not enough information to write the horizontal difference between ##\alpha## and the dashed line in terms of the post's unknown length.

It seems the only option is to just ignore the torque of the wire's weight and hand-wave it away as negligible compared to the other two forces, but that feels rather arbitrary.. is there a better way in the math to handle this situation?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

1. Is ##\theta ## given ?
2. the weight of the wire isn't fully on the attachment point, but uniformly distributed over the 5 m.

Where does the ## 2.50 {\text { m}} - l \cos\theta## come from ?

Likes TRB8985
Hey BvU,

Yeah, theta was provided in a picture with this problem. My bad on forgetting to include that. ##\theta = 57.0°##. Added to the homework statement as well.

In regards to your second statement, totally agree. That's why I've placed the center of mass of the wire at its halfway point along its length.

The ## 2.50 m - l cos(\theta) ## comes from the lever-arm between the point of rotation (##\alpha##) and the line of action of the weight of the wire acting at its center of mass:

UntitledPF5.png

Please let me know if anything else is missing or unclear.

TRB8985 said:
Hey BvU,

Yeah, theta was provided in a picture with this problem. My bad on forgetting to include that. ##\theta = 57.0°##. Added to the homework statement as well.

In regards to your second statement, totally agree. That's why I've placed the center of mass of the wire at its halfway point along its length.

The ## 2.50 m - l cos(\theta) ## comes from the lever-arm between the point of rotation (##\alpha##) and the line of action of the weight of the wire acting at its center of mass:

View attachment 334917
Please let me know if anything else is missing or unclear.

You are freeing the wire from the rod to examine ##T##. You either need to look at things from the perspective of the wire, or the perspective of the rod. I think you are mixing these two perspectives.

EDIT: But maybe that's ok if you can translate ##T## to the dashed line. However, the wire would have to be able to apply a moment to the end of the rod, I guess the question is...can it?

It can't hurt to make a FBD of the wire to see what needs to happen with the forces and moments.

Last edited:
Likes TRB8985
TRB8985 said:
Homework Statement: …. Assume that the wire is essentially horizontal

shouldn't we technically be including an additional torque due to the weight of the wire?
Not exactly.
The joint does not 'know' about the length of the wire. It directly experiences the tension.
In reality, the wire will not be quite straight, so the tension will also exert a downward force (the weight of the half wire) on the joint:
## W_{post} \cdot \frac {l}{2} \cos(\theta) +T_y\cdot l \cos(\theta)= T_x \cdot l \sin(\theta) ##
where ##T_y=\frac 12W_{wire}##.
For the frequency, need to consider the whole tension.

Btw, if you prefix trig functions, logs etc. with \ the LaTeX looks a bit cleaner.

Likes TRB8985
Thank you all for the input! I see where I've gone wrong here.
Much appreciated, have a great evening.

1. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength of a vibrating wire?

The frequency and wavelength of a vibrating wire are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

2. How is the frequency of a vibrating wire measured?

The frequency of a vibrating wire is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second. It can be measured using specialized equipment such as an oscilloscope or frequency meter.

3. What factors affect the frequency of a vibrating wire?

The frequency of a vibrating wire can be affected by the tension, length, and mass of the wire. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. What is the formula for calculating the wavelength of a vibrating wire?

The formula for calculating the wavelength of a vibrating wire is: wavelength = speed of wave / frequency. The speed of the wave can vary depending on the medium the wire is vibrating in.

5. How does the frequency and wavelength of a vibrating wire relate to its sound or pitch?

The frequency of a vibrating wire determines the pitch of the sound it produces. A higher frequency results in a higher pitch, while a lower frequency results in a lower pitch. The wavelength also plays a role in the perceived pitch, with shorter wavelengths producing a higher pitch sound.