1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimate section of area under Maxwell-Boltzmann Curve

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When it comes to evaluating integrals, there are two ways you can do it. First, you know
    that the integration of a function is the area under a curve, as shown in the left hand diagram.
    However, if you are looking over a narrow range along the x-axis, you can make an estimation
    for the area as shown on the right:
    Untitled-1.png
    Use the integral estimation represented on the right to calculate the fraction of Krypton atoms
    moving between 200 m/s to 210 m/s at 30 °C from the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. Hint:
    ∆x=10 m/s, now how do you get ∆y?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]/[/itex]y(x)dx = [itex]\sum[/itex]y(n∆x)∆x
    Total area of curve = 1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried plugging in some numbers but it wasnt working too well...any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could show us the numbers you got. That would get you more help.

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3
    Yeah sorry about that. The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is 4*pi*(m/2*pi*k*T)3/2*v2*e-mv2/2kT and obviously ∆x=10 m/s, so I plugged in 10 for v and 0.0838 kg/mol for m and end up with 0 which doesnt make sense...=\

5. Sep 11, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you plug in 10m/s for v? v is supposed to be between 200m/s and 210m/s, isn't it?

6. Sep 11, 2011 #5
    Yeah it is, so that doesn't make sense. I also tried subbing in 210 and 200 for the equation and subtracting them and I still get 0, unless I'm just typing it in completely wrong or something

7. Sep 11, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't subtract them. The height delta(y) is the value of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution AROUND v=200 to 210m/s. This is an estimate. You can use any value between 200 and 210 though I'd probably pick 205, just to compromise.

8. Sep 11, 2011 #7
    I figured out what I was doing wrong (in conjection with using 205 m/s). I should've been using 1.39x10^-25 kg for the mass of krypton. After plugging that in i got y(205m/s) = 0.01133 which brings the area to 10 x .01133 = 0.11 m. A much more sensible answer than 0 haha. Thanks a lot everyone for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook