Estimate section of area under Maxwell-Boltzmann Curve

In summary, the integrator tries to estimate the area under a curve by plugging in numbers for v and m, but gets confused because v is supposed to be between 200m/s and 210m/s. After figuring out what was wrong, they use 1.39x10^-25 kg for the mass of krypton and get a more sensible answer.
TehDarkArchon

Homework Statement

When it comes to evaluating integrals, there are two ways you can do it. First, you know
that the integration of a function is the area under a curve, as shown in the left hand diagram.
However, if you are looking over a narrow range along the x-axis, you can make an estimation
for the area as shown on the right:
Untitled-1.png

Use the integral estimation represented on the right to calculate the fraction of Krypton atoms
moving between 200 m/s to 210 m/s at 30 °C from the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. Hint:
∆x=10 m/s, now how do you get ∆y?

Homework Equations

[itex]/[/itex]y(x)dx = [itex]\sum[/itex]y(n∆x)∆x
Total area of curve = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in some numbers but it wasnt working too well...any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could show us the numbers you got. That would get you more help.

Yeah sorry about that. The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is 4*pi*(m/2*pi*k*T)3/2*v2*e-mv2/2kT and obviously ∆x=10 m/s, so I plugged in 10 for v and 0.0838 kg/mol for m and end up with 0 which doesn't make sense...=\

TehDarkArchon said:
Yeah sorry about that. The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution is 4*pi*(m/2*pi*k*T)3/2*v2*e-mv2/2kT and obviously ∆x=10 m/s, so I plugged in 10 for v and 0.0838 kg/mol for m and end up with 0 which doesn't make sense...=\

Why would you plug in 10m/s for v? v is supposed to be between 200m/s and 210m/s, isn't it?

Yeah it is, so that doesn't make sense. I also tried subbing in 210 and 200 for the equation and subtracting them and I still get 0, unless I'm just typing it in completely wrong or something

TehDarkArchon said:
Yeah it is, so that doesn't make sense. I also tried subbing in 210 and 200 for the equation and subtracting them and I still get 0, unless I'm just typing it in completely wrong or something

Don't subtract them. The height delta(y) is the value of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution AROUND v=200 to 210m/s. This is an estimate. You can use any value between 200 and 210 though I'd probably pick 205, just to compromise.

I figured out what I was doing wrong (in conjection with using 205 m/s). I should've been using 1.39x10^-25 kg for the mass of krypton. After plugging that in i got y(205m/s) = 0.01133 which brings the area to 10 x .01133 = 0.11 m. A much more sensible answer than 0 haha. Thanks a lot everyone for your help!

1. What is the purpose of estimating the area under the Maxwell-Boltzmann curve?

The area under the curve represents the total probability of a particle having a certain energy, which is important in statistical mechanics and thermodynamics.

2. How is the area under the curve estimated?

The area can be estimated through numerical integration methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of the estimated area under the curve?

The accuracy of the estimation depends on the number of data points used and the chosen integration method. More data points and a more precise integration method will result in a more accurate estimation.

4. Can the area under the curve be calculated exactly?

No, the area under the curve can only be estimated due to the continuous nature of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. However, as the number of data points approaches infinity, the estimation will approach the exact value.

5. How is the estimated area under the curve used in scientific research?

The estimated area under the curve is used to calculate important thermodynamic quantities, such as the average energy and specific heat capacity of a system. It is also used in the analysis of experimental data in fields such as chemistry and physics.