Estimate the buoyant force exerted on your body by the air

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
ironhawk316
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Estimate the buoyant force exerted on your body by the air ( use Pair+1.029 kg/m^3). What would be the difference between your weight in the air and your weight in a vacuum?
How would I proceed with this? What Equation should I use?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ironhawk316 said:
Estimate the buoyant force exerted on your body by the air ( use Pair+1.029 kg/m^3). What would be the difference between your weight in the air and your weight in a vacuum?
How would I proceed with this? What Equation should I use?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the displaced fluid. That should be a good starting place.
 
just multilpy volume of body and density of air and acceleration due to gravity. your weight will be more in vacuum.