1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating p-value for Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test

1. Apr 14, 2007 #1
    I'm trying to estimate the p-value range for a Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test using a W-alpha table. For example:

Ho: M1 = M2
    Ha: M1 < M2
    alpha = 0.05
    n = 17

I calculated W = 62 and the rejection region W <= 41. So I would reject Ho.

But I'm also required to know how to come to a conclusion using the estimated p-value that's supposed to come from the W-alpha table. In a t-test using a t-table I would look at the t-table at the row with the right degrees of freedom and see where my test statistic would fall in. When I try to do this with a Wilcoxon test and a W-alpha table it gives me conclusion that contradicts the one I get from the test itself.

Any ideas on how to estimate the p-value properly from the W-alpha table? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you know that the rejection region is W <= 41? "41" is nowhere on the table on row "n=17".

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?