1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating the average time between collisions (electrons in Cu solid)

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The thermal conductivity of Cu at room temperature is 400 W/(mK). Use this value to determine the average time between collisions, [itex]\tau[/itex]. Compare this value with the electrical conductivity.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure. I take T=300K for room temperature.
    From a book and with little algebra, [itex]\tau = \frac{3 \kappa }{C_e \overline v ^2}[/itex]. Where [itex]C_e=nc[/itex], the specific heat of the electrons per volume unit. [itex]\overline v =<v^2> [/itex].
    Also, [itex]<v^2>=\frac{3K_BT}{m_e}[/itex] and apparently [itex]C=\frac{3}{2}n k_B [/itex](they do not state what n is, but I think it's the electronic density because they said that c is the specific heat per electron)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using only the given data, I do not see a clear way to solve the problem, it seems like a data is missing (for example the electron density). Am I missing a way to solve the problem?

If I had "n", I'd be done, because [itex]\tau = \frac{2\kappa m_e }{3nk_B^2T}[/itex] and everything is known but n.
    I guess I'm missing something obvious, yet I don't see it. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

Well I used an extra datum, namely that the distance between atoms is worth 0.2 nm. I could calculate the electron density n to be worth [itex]1.25 \times 10 ^{29} m^{-3}[/itex], which gave me [itex]\tau \approx 3.40 \times 10 ^{-14}s[/itex].
    With the electrical conductivity the result is about [itex]\tau \approx 2 \times 10 ^{-14}s[/itex].
    So they are about the same order of magnitude but not exactly the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook